hey everyone. so I went to the dollar store yesterday to get some mop-n-glo for finishing some holsters. while I was there, I picked up a bottle of Murphys oil soap. was just wondering if anyone has ever used this? the bottle says that its 96% natural ingredients. just wanted to get your thoughts on it. I tried it on a scrap piece I had but I didn't notice difference on the look of the leather but I was wondering more about the nutrients for the leather. thanks and I look forward to any advice.

It is just easier to use Pure Neatsfoot Oil on your leather than to try looking for some shortcut method that will only cost you more in the long run and require more work to apply it properly. Besides, the word soap means just that, it is a soap that is intended to be used to clean the leather when it gets extremely soiled. Much the same as saddle soap is. All of these cleaners are mistakenly used by many as a conditioner and they are not, even the manufacturers make this clear, and if they aren't used properly they can cause some serious issues with your leather and can even damage it in some circumstances. Regarding the Mop-n-Glo use, this stuff is not intended to be used on leather. I spent 24 years in the Army and remember very well when all of the guys would try and shortcut the spit shine process when we were in Jump School by using Mop-n-Glo to get that perfect mirror like shine. All it took was for a Blackhat to push down on the toe cap of your jump boots and all you would see was a spiderweb of cracks in the finish. Not to mention, it also had a very nasty effect on leather and will dry it out beyond repair. I know there are several who advocate the use of these types of products but my years in working with leather (and they are very many) has taught me what works with the leather and what does not.

It is just easier to use Pure Neatsfoot Oil on your leather than to try looking for some shortcut method that will only cost you more in the long run and require more work to apply it properly. Besides, the word soap means just that, it is a soap that is intended to be used to clean the leather when it gets extremely soiled. Much the same as saddle soap is. All of these cleaners are mistakenly used by many as a conditioner and they are not, even the manufacturers make this clear, and if they aren't used properly they can cause some serious issues with your leather and can even damage it in some circumstances. Regarding the Mop-n-Glo use, this stuff is not intended to be used on leather. I spent 24 years in the Army and remember very well when all of the guys would try and shortcut the spit shine process when we were in Jump School by using Mop-n-Glo to get that perfect mirror like shine. All it took was for a Blackhat to push down on the toe cap of your jump boots and all you would see was a spiderweb of cracks in the finish. Not to mention, it also had a very nasty effect on leather and will dry it out beyond repair. I know there are several who advocate the use of these types of products but my years in working with leather (and they are very many) has taught me what works with the leather and what does not.

X2, I use Neatsfoot Oil and two finishes. Clear Lac 95% of the time, on Feibings Pro Oil Black I use Resolene (50/50) for some reason Clear Lac picks up too much pigment from Feibings Pro Oil Black and even more when I used USMC Black, but everything else gets Clear Lac (cut 50/50 with LCI thinner). The only other thing I use for a conditioner is Feibings Aussie on Rifle Slings and it is a Neatsfoot Oil/Beeswax mixture that provides a little more weather resistance for rugged outdoor use, it still gets Clear Lac over the Aussie.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

I have used it exclusively for cleaning leather for years but have never considered it to be a complete treatment, only a cleaner that had no caustic or acidic components to do any harm. With MOS, warm water, a stiff brush and elbow grease we tackle about anything. Then, for treatment I use either olive oil, Lexol Nf or Netselene from weaver.

Edited by oltoot

thanks for the replies. I kinda figured it wouldn't work just wondered if any one else had tried it. That's ok though cause now I have a project to do this winter.... refinish my dining room table!!!