AdamTracksler

Using A Stitching Spacer?

I will normaly dampen my leather just a little before I use my stitch marker, however even on dry leather it usualy leaves enough of a mark to see. Can you post a picture of what you are using?

The points on my marking wheels are a bit sharper looking then the ones on your wheel. The type of leather you are trying to mark can play a roll in how distinct the marks come out. Try dampening the leather a bit and see if it makes a difference for you if you dampen the leather evenly it won't hurt anything..

I'd say the type of leather is more of an issue here. That looks to be a type of chrome tanned leather, and due to it's soft, resilient temper, the marks just aren't going to be super evidient

its "supposed" to be veg tanned, but I'm new to leather, and could totally be mistaken.... I'll try wetting it tomorrow....

When I'm making an object (like this coin purse), should I be punching the holes before I glue the pieces? I have to start again on this project, since I didn't take the size of the snaps into account, and they run right into my stitch line....

I've gone to using pricking irons myself. Just put 'em on the stitch line and whack it with a mallet. You can use 'em either with or without a stitch groove. Then open the holes with a stitchin' awl.

stitchholes_zps99e2cacd.jpg

Generally, I glue the pieces then punch the holes.

The tool pictured looks like a very blunted overstitch wheel. I have two overstitch wheels with very sharp points and they mark chrome or vegtan leather just fine. I just got the second one from Bruce Johnson (he has lots of them on his website) for marking around the welt of shoes to handsew the uppers to the midsole. The Tandy model that I used previously is too wide and mars the leather uppers. The new (actually very old and cool) tool from Bruce works great.

The new one probably has blunted teeth because somebody scratched themself and threatened to sue because the tool was too sharp, resulting in a redesign of the tool making it less dangerous. :thumbsdown:

I would return the tool to the seller and ask for a refund or replacement. I have several overstitch wheels and all are sharp. My stitching spacers are a flat star shaped wheels. Overstitchers are for setting your finished stitches and the one you have would be quite useless as there are no points to push the thread down into the holes. Gump.