Here's my first gun holster to fit my new S&W Shield. My second project, ever. Got the pattern from Adams Leather Works. The fit is great. Nothing fancy for this project. Did not even use any dye. All of the color comes from neetsfoot oil. Two coats of that. Then one application of Neetsfoot/Beeswax 50/50. Topped with Kiwi neutral. Edges done with gum trag.

post-57417-0-97935900-1421039914_thumb.j

ChiefStealth, Looks pretty darn good for a first one.

My first was no where near as good. I repeatedly tell people that the paper is the hardest part.

Always looking at what to do better next time Myself. On the pic posted it is hard to tell, but looks like the stitches are a little close on the top of the ear, since the distance looks pretty good every where else .......did you have problems aligning when glueing and have to trim and sand? Just an assumption.

Looks like edges would be the next place to focus attention on.....

Darn good for a first!

His videos are money well spent by the way. I have watched them so many times, only draw back is that background music is stuck in my head!

I did some sanding and trimming with a Dremel. I don't think it was a lot. Maybe 1mm at most. Only a few places. Not all around. Mostly, I think I just set the stitching groover a bit smaller than I should have. I still need a lot more practice with that tool. The thing that bugs me the most is the little dings and dents in the areas that should be smooth. The leather started out pretty smooth, but ended up with the dings. Probably just from my handling. I'm not careful enough, or I just don't yet know what I'm doing to cause that.

Edges were done with a wooden tool handle. I don't have a nice tool for doing edges, yet. I'm thinking of getting a good wooden wheel to fit a Dremel. Not too pricey. I have a few more projects planned. Having that edge wheel would save time, at least.

I use my dremel mostly........i bought a pack of drill bits that fit........i cut and wrap burlap around them and can control the speedpost-23581-0-63447900-1421153008_thumb.j....let what ever you use create the heat without putting to much pressure....that keeps from disforming the rounded edges....they kind of get pushed over otherwise

Just takes pratice not to ding the leather........not handling when wet is one help. waiting till it dries a little to start forming.....while it is wet you can use whatever you use to "rub out" most marks....takes practice......

Off to a really good start....again better than my first..

if others give different advice......most on here are more experienced than myself.....just accomplish something new or better with each holster is my goal

Edited by cleanview

Thanks for the tip, and the pictures, on the Dremel burnishers. You wrote that you use burlap. I've read others that said they used canvas, or denim. I'll see what I have hanging around and use that. I had an idea to use a small diameter bolt. Grind the threads off part of the bolt until it fits in the Dremel. Then put two lock nuts on the remaining thread of the bolt. Put some canvas, burlap, denim, etc.. in between the two nuts, and squish the material in between the two nuts. Seemed it would be a cheaper alternative to buying drill bits.

Starting my next project... magazine pouches. I think it will be a good use for the not-so-pretty leather around the outside of the slab of leather I have. I'd also like to try using dye. I've not done that, yet. Like you wrote... accomplish something new...