MADMAX22

highest quality hardware

Wondering what all you guys that sell your stuff for a pretty penny use as far as hardware (clasp, buckles, hinges, .... ).

I understand that when you start making a quality product that is sold you dont want the finish rubbing off of a concho or clasp in a week or two of use. Just some input on who you guys turn too for quality stuff.

That is a good question.

I have often wondered what others have found in regards to suppliers of high-quality hardware. I end up searching for stuff myself, though some products have been mentioned here. Unfortunately, most places I would like to purchase from only sell to companies or have minimum orders too high for me, etc.

Anyway, here's a few sites I have heard of and come across (although I have not purchased from most):

Rome Fasteners

DOT Fasteners (have bought Durable Snaps, not too high minimum order)

Standard Rivet Company

Philip Machine

Northwest Brass Works

Belt Buckle Bill

Fasnap Corp.

C&C Ribco

Stimpson

Index Fasteners (fastener distributor)

Hoover Press-N-Snap (snap and grommet hand setter)

Eisen

Small Box Hardware

Perfect Fit

Outdoor Textiles (grommets)

Siska, Inc.

These are just some sites I have bookmarked because they appear to be possible sources for some hardware. Like I said, other than DOT Fasteners Direct, I have not purchased from any of these. The minimum orders and such make it more difficult to buy from. I would be interested in hearing of others' experience, and I would especially like to know of other possible suppliers anyone else might know of.

L'Bum

Edited by Leather Bum

Max,

For most personal carry stuff hardware, Ohio Travel bag is kind of one stop shopping. You can source a lot of what they have from the manufacturers or other distributers, but they have a lot in one place. Unless things have significantly changed - don't email/tell them upfront how you want to handle backorders.

I get most buckles, rings, and snaps from Weavers or Walsall.

Thanks for the input guys,

We have looked around alot and done alot of searching and it seems to be hard to find stuff that is decent but not exuberant in price. Doesnt seem to be any middle of the road its either really cheap or really expensive.

I talked with the weaver guys I think it is and got turned onto the ohiobag if I remember right so I think Ill stick with them for now. Ill check out the DOT fasteners also. Thanks

Max,

For most personal carry stuff hardware, Ohio Travel bag is kind of one stop shopping. You can source a lot of what they have from the manufacturers or other distributers, but they have a lot in one place. Unless things have significantly changed - don't email/tell them upfront how you want to handle backorders.

I get most buckles, rings, and snaps from Weavers or Walsall.

Not trying to hijack your post, Bruce, but....

Only thing about Ohio Travel Bag is that they don't sell to anyone without a business. They DO have a retail web based business called HardwareElf.com. Here's a link for anyone interested:

http://www.hardware-elf.com/

Not trying to hijack your post, Bruce, but....

Only thing about Ohio Travel Bag is that they don't sell to anyone without a business. They DO have a retail web based business called HardwareElf.com. Here's a link for anyone interested:

http://www.hardware-elf.com/

Thats what it was, I couldnt remember. And if you want something just let them know and they will make it available on the hardwarelf website.

Where can I get contact or website or catalog for WALSALL products please?

Ohio Travel Bag will indeed sell to people without a business. They only ask that you fill out the application for and they do have minimum order amounts dollar wise. I think their deal is they don't want people that are going to buy a few things one time only. On the other hand, I placed an order a few months ago and received it in quick order, problem was the clips they sent were absolute junk. The finish was terrible and the edges were sharp, a couple even had begun to rust. I would never buy from them again. I will stick with ordering all my metal clips from Springfield Leather and on occasion when Tandy sells theirs on sale for a reasonable price I will go there. I have ordered snaps, rivets and other hardware from Springfield Leather and never had a problem.