alexitbe

Sorry... Another Thread Thread... ;)

I promised myself I would not ask this and find it out with a search, but I just end up confused.

I will mostly be sewing 2- pieces of 5-6 oz leather. The maximum will be 2 pieces of 10 oz veg tan.

I would like to use linen.

What thread size should I use for:

Hand sewing?

Machine sewing?

Can I cover all the above options with a single thread size? Is there any difference in requirments for hand sewing and machine sewing? Can I use linen for both?

The machine is a durkopp, a walking foot and is very robust. It uses the following system 135 x 17. I have the following size 140/22 and another smaller size, but cannot find theat just now.

I am really sorry to ask, but am desperatez to start sewing... It has taken me a long time to get all the equipment ready and this is the last thing holding me up...

I just want to start... :(:)

Cheers

Alex

Hi Alex. If you are sewing leather, then you will want to use the 135X16 system #22 with a 138 thread top and bottom. If you are wanting to sew 5-6 oz. leather, then try a 69 thread with a #20 needle.

Thanks Cobra Steve,

I will order some thread today. I guess your advice is for machines, but can I use the same thread for hand sewing.

I am completely new to sewing and leather. I thought that the needle system that I must use is fixed by the machine itself (Durkopp 241). You are saying that I can change the system I use withi reason?

Cheers

ALex

Alex, the 135x17 is for fabric (round point) the 135x16 is for leather - same needle length + size but different needle tip (or point). You don´t have to change any settings you just have to insert a leather needle. ;)

Edited by Constabulary

Ha ha...That's just what I want to hear... :) I am beginneg to get impatient now... but things are coming together.. .I am waiting for my skiving knife and round knife from the UK to arrive... I have the glue... Just need the thread...

I will go and get the leather needles today... or atleast order them.

When I find my bloody camera I will send you pics of the mounting system I have made for the machine...I am very proud of it.. It will do for now...

Cheers

Alex