Constabulary

216X1 Needles - 214X1 Nedles - Whats The Difference?

I know the 214x1 (Sys 328) have different shaft sizes / diameters and I know they are for the Singer 45K Adler 4, 5, 104,104 and so forth. I also use them in My 133K3 (no problems in general) but the original needle for the 133K3 is the 216x1 regarding the Singer manual.

I just noticed that the 214x1 (328) size 200 METWAR needles (Metwar is now Groz Beckert) do NOT touch the hook whereas the thinner SCHMETZ 180 + 160 DO slightly touch the hook. it´s probably because the needle is thinner and the scarf is closer to the hook therefore. It really is a tiny tiny bit but it is barely touching no matter what angle the needle has. Sound stupid but thats what going on!

The hook of the 133K is of course a bit special as it is a rotating hook and not a oscillating hook and the tip is not as sharp as at the 45K type hooks f.i. and the 133K hook tip is much wider and has a flattened side facing towards the needle so the tip may need a bit more space.

So I wonder if the 216x1 has a constant shaft size and therefore a deeper scarf.

I never have owned / seen 216x1 needles so I honestly don´t know the difference between the two.

I hope someone know more....

The only difference I can see is the scarf is shorter on the 216x1 than the 214x1.

Really? I just thought its the other way around. I was hoping the 216x1 has a longer or deeper scarf because of the wider tip of the 133K hook.

Hmmmmm...

I once setup my 133K with the Metwar 200 needle as I needed it for heavier thread / thicker material but I think I´ll try some other needle sizes and brands that I have floating around here.

Needle testing day today....

Edited by Constabulary

Too bad - only the METWAR 200 is not rubbing :mad: must be a few mµ that the scarf is deeper.

Bob - can you tell me if the 216x1 all have the same shaft diameter or is it the same as with the 214x1 (328)?

Yes,same shaft diameter.

Just to be sure - all 216x1 needles sizes have the same shaft diameter? I ask because the diameter of the 214x1 varies as you surely know.

Hello All,

OK, back to an old thread. If I am not wrong, 214x2 is similar to 214x1 but with leather point (LR)

Well I tried both in my 132K10 and it does not work with 214x2... The hook does not catch the needle thread. I did photos to compare, needles'top anatomy does not look similar at all

Singer original on the right

- It is shorter

- playing with the needle bar height won't help

07.jpg

06.jpg

05.jpg

04.jpg

03.jpg

02.jpg

01.jpg

Edit : I've redone my test because I realised that the Schmetz needle was not facing the hook... It was slightly turned (it probably moved when I secured the screw) and 214x2 needles are definitely working with 132K10 which is supposed to take 216x1

I have tested from 200 to 250 with success

Smaller needles won't catch the thread but I guess this is normal, you're supposed to adjust hook/timing with such a difference in needle size.