jimi

Original Singer 45K Users Manual

I know College Sewing very well, I`m buying most of my parts from them. I bought the spring you have linked but it is too short and too weak and I have bought this disc:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/3071-TENSION-RELEASE-WASHER-SEIKO

But the disc is too hard, you cannot adjust the small tab w/o braking it. But everything else was of really good quality and I had no problems!!!

Edited by Constabulary

Thats real funny, because this looks exactly like an Adler class 4. You can compare it with another 45K-1 for sale on EBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Singer-45K1-Lockstitch-Heavy-Duty-Straight-Stitch-Industrial-Sewing-Machine/111615550745?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Deb1c7181b994425a82deb5d85e57628f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D221714659335&rt=nc

And clearly see this machine is longer. Looks like its replacing a shorter 45K in the table cut out, you see the cut out for the hinge not used anymore. Looks like it has 45K or a small Adler 104 closed frame shuttle, it could also be an aftermarket one of course. The needle screw and guide belongs to a Singer. Some details do not look like a Adler class 4 head, like the hole in backside (front), perhaps its a 104 head with a Singer or Adler class 4 hand-wheel. I do not have a picture of an Adler class 4-1 to compare it too.

I will not blame Singer for this job, looks like this has been done by the owner. Perhaps the 45K broke down and he needed some reliable replacement :rofl:

Joke aside, I really do not know what this is, its something "smelly" thats for sure.

Tor

I know College Sewing very well, I`m buying most of my parts from them. I bought the spring you have linked but it is too short and too weak and I have bought this disk:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/3071-TENSION-RELEASE-WASHER-SEIKO

But the washer is too hard, you cannot adjust the small tab w/o braking it. But everything else was of really good quality and I had no problems!!!

OK, so you still miss that part? and CowboyBob do not have it either? It was just a shot from the hip.

That washer you linking to looks exactly like the one on my Adler 105, I guess these parts are very similar on most machines. Perhaps the companies buying it from the same producer, I do not think they all make these tension part them self.

What do you think of this Singer class 4-1 Jimi found on Ebay?

Tor

I just wanted to say that these two parts from College Sewing where crap and all other parts are good! No missing parts!

The washer is a bit different...

I´d say the 4-1 is a reworked Adler 4-1 with a Singer decal. I don´t think that Singer sold Adler machines at that stage.

Singer still sold the 45K89 in the 1960´s as far as I know and the Adler 4-1 w/o reverse would have been a step back. And Adler already had the greenish 104 + 105 on the market

Edited by Constabulary

I think the last of the 45ks were made in 1964. and if i can remember correctly the serial nº on my sv99 is from 1962.

Edited by jimi

No, this one is most certainly rebadged by an owner, otherwise the table would have the correct size cut out. And not been altered like this. Anyway, these bottom feed machines most likely bought in for use on canvas and such heavy fabrics. For leather they would have chosen an other subclass. I would guess this one replaced an similar Singer subclass like the 45K-1, it would make no sense otherwise. Even in the 1950`ties you would not put Singer decal on a Adler to make money on it (or perhaps it was related to the post WW2). Perhaps it came from a heavy garment factory who only used Singer`s, a machine broke down and the repair shop replaced it with what they had on hand. Perhaps the factory had a reason for only using Singer, some kind of contract with the Singerco or a government. Something like that would make sense. That or perhaps the Adler machine was not that popular in the UK when it happened. One can only speculate.

Tor

Just another old photo i found

post-32832-0-43944000-1426601017_thumb.j

and another curios mix??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADLER-120-SINGER-7B-VERY-HEAVY-DUTY-/231077711621?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35cd4e0f05

Edited by jimi

Yes there is quite a few of these Adler 120 that changed name to Singer. Must be because it had a larger foot lift that the Singer 27 B2B. The high lift Adler cl. 120 had a 40 mm foot lift. This subclass has a gear on the hand-wheel. It is very cheap priced, this are very expensive machines.

Tor

Some very early class 4 machines are a dead ringer for the 45k and I suspect that ADLER may have license built them then made their own improvements. This is pure speculation

I don't agree with this theory (Class 4 + 5 >> 45K).

As far as I know Singer already produced 45K´s when Adler was still producing the Class 3 which is the predecessor of the Class 4.

45K flat bed and Adler Class4 are a bit different - the 45K´s are shorter than the Adler Class 4. Therefore I´d say the Class 4 is rather an improvement of the 45K. I don't think Singer would produce shorter machines when they copy something.

But thats just my theory w/o proof. ;)

Some GA5 parts fit the 45k. The GA5 bottom end is actually closer to a 105 than a 45k as are a number of top end parts

Thats real funny, because this looks exactly like an Adler class 4. You can compare it with another 45K-1 for sale on EBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Singer-45K1-Lockstitch-Heavy-Duty-Straight-Stitch-Industrial-Sewing-Machine/111615550745?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Deb1c7181b994425a82deb5d85e57628f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D221714659335&rt=nc

And clearly see this machine is longer. Looks like its replacing a shorter 45K in the table cut out, you see the cut out for the hinge not used anymore. Looks like it has 45K or a small Adler 104 closed frame shuttle, it could also be an aftermarket one of course. The needle screw and guide belongs to a Singer. Some details do not look like a Adler class 4 head, like the hole in backside (front), perhaps its a 104 head with a Singer or Adler class 4 hand-wheel. I do not have a picture of an Adler class 4-1 to compare it too.

I will not blame Singer for this job, looks like this has been done by the owner. Perhaps the 45K broke down and he needed some reliable replacement :rofl:

Joke aside, I really do not know what this is, its something "smelly" thats for sure.

Tor

I Found that Elias Howe cylinder arm machine again, very interesting, and would look spectacular restored!

post-32832-0-83747600-1434634424_thumb.jpost-32832-0-62063100-1434634437_thumb.j

Thank made a manual for my 45K25.

Sorry dude, didn´t catch that one?? could you send a couple of pictures of your machine?

Almost as rare as rocking horse poop!!!!!

I Found that Elias Howe cylinder arm machine again, very interesting, and would look spectacular restored!

attachicon.gif$_57 (6).JPGattachicon.gif$_57.JPG

Yeah! if you want to see the model here it is. the model D barrel-arm ca 1870. it had the largest shuttle in the world at that time and in 1876 was the best machine in the world for shoe and leather work! (according to this article).this was up for sale on ebay france for €1000.

http://www.sewalot.com/elias_howe.htm

Edited by jimi

I realise I am reopening an old thread, but for the first time since 1995 I had my Singer 45k58 working over the weekend, thanks to this thread, and the Beginner Having Problem With A Singer 45K25. - Leather Sewing Machines - Leatherworker.net thread from 2012 to 2016.

Brilliant, thanks guys.

Harry

Hi Harry, good to hear that you got the old machine going again :thumbsup: i take it that it is the flat bed version of the 45k89 class? with the kick foot? there seems to be a lot of these type machines in the UK. could you send a couple of pictures of the machine for the old iron junkies here, regards jimi.

It is the flatbed 48K58. Very nice machine.

They are very popular with saddlers here, for repairing horse blankets in the Springtime, as well as for long runs on belts and harness.

I am getting a table and servo motor for it, and will post pictures when its back in the workshop.

I had completely forgotten the one and a half turns around the tension wheel, which sorted out the final problem.

Sorting out my 196K205 now, for light leathergoods, needs a complete repaint, but I am unlikely to do that, as I want it to use in the workshop, not to display.

Best

Harry

On 2/9/2015 at 6:18 AM, Constabulary said:

WOW - thats the first complete Singer 45K instructions manual I have ever seen!!!

Great find Jimi :specool:

I have downloaded the pictures reworked them a little bit and turned them into a PDF files.

Hope you like it:

Direct Download link: Singer 45K User Guide / Instructions Manual

Direct Download link: Singer 45K Descriptions of Subclasses

Hi Constabulary,

I am looking for the manuals you describe here, but these links don't work any more.  Can you please post these pdfs again, as I would love to have the manuals for my 45K machine.

Thanks,

Trevor

Hi There, here is the parts book for your machine. could you send some pictures of your 45k52. regards jimi.

thanks .. seems 45k 52 is completely different than 45k 53

mine has a compound walking foot .. stitch length adjustments on front/side

no reverse .. no bottom feed dogs. note WD40 was used to free up a frozen screw

using a high grade clear mineral oil

DSC08677.JPG

DSC08678.JPG

DSC08674.JPG

DSC08676.JPG

Edited by singer45k