Here is an inlaid cardholder I made. Black clayton horsehide and black pigskin. Gold linen thread. I put some of my other work on Instagram @_cunninghams_ check it out if you want. Happy with how this turned out.

- Zach

post-36015-0-04018100-1423795188_thumb.j

post-36015-0-99129400-1423795206_thumb.j

Nice clean work.

Very nice job with the stitching.

Joel

Thank you Joel! When you don't do any kind of tooling the stitching has to be on point. Your eyes have nothing to distract them. I try!

- Zach

I love the design! If I might suggest, your inlay work looks so nice that you should inlay something cooler than pigskin. :-D

I used 4mm kyoshin elle stitch chisels and I believe 1mm flat wound thread

I did a couple variations of this wallet. One with flesh side up and another with the grain side up. The sueded one looks sweet.

Rough out

post-36015-0-23568100-1424373078_thumb.j

That is a cool idea. You could also do a colorful or crazy piece of really thin leather in there. Or you can save up your moneys and inlay shark, stingray, ostrich, snake, etc. My favorite inlay to date is this holster by Mike (aka katsass): post-38542-0-76162000-1424403338_thumb.j

Send him a piece of that ostrich leg you just got Monica!

lol, Matt - maybe after I subdue the panic attack I'm giving myself with my money spending this year. Zachary, for your reference:

post-38542-0-51468700-1424439011_thumb.jpost-38542-0-75752100-1424439012_thumb.j

Never worked with that stuff before. Looks like a dinosaur. Bought some kind of croc print cow leather from springfield and it was awful. Looked like a piece of rubber. And I feel you on the money spending...this is the most expensive hobby I've ever had. More than drums. I think about quitting a lot so I don't spend anymore money. But I won't.

- Zach

Ah, but unlike drums (unless you're in a money-making band), leatherworking pays for itself. Believe it or not. And your work is very clean. Like.. seriously nice stuff. You can definitely sell it. I've found with my super-economical business plan (i.e. spend $0.00 on marketing) that if your work is clean, and if you're not in a hurry, you can basically double anything you spend. More like triple, if you count assets like square feet of leather you own and products yet to be sold. But basically, at the end of the year, not counting all that stuff, you're likely to have made back exactly what you spent and then the same amount over again.

That doesn't cut it for a business, but it's pretty sweet for a hobby.

It helps if you sell some things to friends and do some social networking free advertising, of course. Also, if your pictures and product don't look exactly like what everyone else makes.

Try buying some leather from Maverick. 5.50 a square foot. Some of it is so-so and some of it is lovely. They're very up-front about condition and extremely helpful.

I used 4mm kyoshin elle stitch chisels and I believe 1mm flat wound thread

I did a couple variations of this wallet. One with flesh side up and another with the grain side up. The sueded one looks sweet.

Really? If those stitches are 6SPI then that thread looks smaller than 1mm to me. Maybe my eyes deceive me! Whatever chisel and thread combo you are using it looks great for that size project.