Thanks to Constabulary for identifying the OMAC 69-73; which is an Adler clone.

As I said elsewhere: I'm setting up a leather workshop in Austria and am looking for the equipment I will need to do so.

One of my major purchases will be a sewing machine. And I've spent a LOT of time researching this. While I'd like to think I've learned a lot, the truth of the matter is that, at this point, I know just enough to be dangerous ... to myself and my wallet.

Which is why I'm posting here and elsewhere. Better to seek the wisdom of others now than to wish I had later.

Since shipping from the States and the UK would add FAR more than I want to spend to the costs of the equipment, I would appreciate any info I can get on good suppliers of industrial sewing machines, other leather workshop equipment, leather, hardware, etc. in continental Europe. (FYI, I will be posting in the suppliers forum as well as here.)

I would also appreciate any info anyone has on the HJighlead GC2698-1 sewing machines.

I I understood the info on their Irsih/UK website correctly, they're manufactured by Mistubishi

http://www.highlead.co.uk/about-HIGHLEAD.htm

And from the looks of the machine, it is another Adler 69-373 clone. Pics and specs can be seen here:

http://www.sunnysewingmachine.com/index.php/view-all-machines/21-cylinder-arm-sewing-machines/647-highlead-gc2698-1-small-cylinder-arm-walking-foot-sewing-machine-syncronized-binder

Assuming I'm correct, it would probably do what I need to do. HOWEVER, I am not going to buy anything that I have not either seen good reviews of written by the good folks on this forum or run past ya'll.

Sooooooo ... does anyone know anything about these machines?

In particular, what is it a clone of: Adler? Juki? Both?

Are they well made, reliable, etc.

Thanks!

LJ Stevens
Maverick Leathers

post-52390-0-62845200-1425754004_thumb.j

post-52390-0-79037100-1425754006_thumb.j

post-52390-0-72780100-1425754008_thumb.j

post-52390-0-66344500-1425754010_thumb.j

UPDATE:

IMMEDIATELY after posting the above I learned that the Highlead is similar to the Pfaff 335.

Soooooo ... the questions I asked above also apply to the Pfaff.

Thanks!

Mav

PS: Could somebody tell me if I'm having fun yet? 'Cause it seems to me that I'm having about as much fun as a dog chasing its own tail. ... .... ... sigh ...

Be careful if you buy one of those cylinder arm machines with a binder attachment. Some have a feed dog that only acts as a lower thread guide, but does not lift above, or even close to the top of the throat plate. Those machine will not feed leather properly. Make sure what you buy has compound feed, with a feed dog on the bottom moving in sync with the needle and inside foot, while the outer foot just lifts and lowers to hold down the material.