Carrieanna1172

Help I Think I Stripped A Gear Or Something?

I'm going to try to include two videos of what the machine is doing

Consew 227

I was using a 22 needle and 138 thread sewing

Two 6 to 7 oz pieces of veg tan leather together I personally Felt like the needle and thread were to large for this but was following a chart I found online

Anyway right out of the gate maybe 10 ugly stitches in it made funny noise like a gear stripping ?

Any ideas I took stuff apart put back together tried to reset the timing ?

The bobbin case is not turning properly and if you can see the videos the the two gears ? Teeth

under the bobbin case are not Catching / connecting with each other

trim.825033DA-9083-4780-8D7E-ABFD737648C9.MOV

Video too close and too quick for me. And you didn't say the model. That thing got a safety clutch?

There is a safety clutch according to the Consew 227 manuals that are too large to attach. Send a PM and I'll email the manuals.

Yes it has a safety clutch and its a 227

With no reverse

Don't know if that matters

The video said it was to big I had to trim it

I will try posting a longer one

The video said it was to big I had to trim it

I will try posting a longer one

File size is quite limited on LW. You can setup an account with YouTube or other video hosting service and store it there, then provide the link here for people to be able to view it. Set the permissions on your hosting service to "public".

Tom

Looks to me like you need to move the gear on the bottom shaft closer to the hook gear . Loosen the screws and slide the gear into mesh with the hook gear make sure you don't rotate the gear on the shaft as you may change the timing. tighten the screws It most likely out of time as the teeth have been out of mesh Do you know how to time it"?

Edited by pcox

Check if one of the set screws is loose and rubbing on a gear. Turn the fly wheel by hand and watch the gears. If not I would say Pcox is rigth ;)

Edited by Constabulary

I do not know how to set the timing

The bobbin case is not turning and I can see and where the two gear underneath are not catching or connecting with each other

If I rotate the bobbin by hand then step on the peddle the connect for a couple of turns and then the bobbin stops turning and I can hear the gears grazing each other

Edited by Carrieanna1172

The machine's bobbin/hook assembly is probably completely out of time, so simply re-establishing the gears in mesh will not fix the problems now. It must have had a set screw that wasn't completely tightened. Timing these machines is not too difficult if you have good instructions and want to learn how. Take it one step at a time in the correct order. As long as you check the operation by hand power only, and take it easy, you can just do it over until its perfect with no harm done.

-DC

Here is a video of the point I am at now?.

Some direction would be greatly appreciated

Ps there was a loose set screw when I get under there

While you have the gears "out of mesh", can you turn the bobbin basket/hook? I not, there is something jamming the the basket/hook from turning. Something like a broken part of a needle, or threads jammed up tight underneath.

Clear that problem up, then you can go about setting the gears in the right position and proceed with setting the timing. Any time you have a machine jam, look for something in the bobbin basket/hook area first and make sure that is clear. And put a new needle in.

Tom

North mount

When the gears are out of sync or not touching it spins

Well it was spinning and now no

The basket the bobbin goes in won't move at all

Edited by Carrieanna1172

Ok update I think I got the timing set right !!,!

The manual tejas sent was extremely helpful! A thousand thanks to all of you

Such a great group on here to just jump in and help out!

I think it needs a tiny bit of tweaking the stitches are small? And I think my walking feed is loose

Maybe a new set of screws

I broke one off and had to drill it out

Anyway thanks again to you all

Im having the same issues above.. I just got a Consew 227r on friday! And my nylon bonded shredded and I cant seem to get safety clutch released.

I am so annoyed.