Really not sure what the problem is but there's a terrible 'scream' coming from the area of the belts/pulleys. It's not a squeal like you hear on a car's fan belt but more a loud and off and on medium pitch scraping sound. At first I thought it was in need of belt dressing but the more I think about I think it's from the pulleys.

I've tried regular belt dressing but its so messy...black tar like liquid and hard to apply all over. Thinking of trying a bar of soap just to see if it quiets down. Taking the machine it to service is SO difficult because of weight and size of the machine.

I will try adjusting the pully tension

Has anyone ever had to deal with pulley bearings ? Any suggestions ?

Mark

Try checking your guard that covers the belt and pulley or speed reducer. It might have got shifted and when you start sewing, it jumps slightly and hits the edge of guard.

Make sure the pulleys are tight on the shaft, soumds to me like the may have come loose and are turning on the shaft.

Good Luck, Leo

Just checked the machine. Pulleys are tight but the sound continues. The best at the wheel seems to wobble a bit ? There's also a grease zerk on one wheel but could not get my gun to fit on it...pretty small. Looks also like I need new belts as the edges are frayed a bit. How tight are they suppoesed to be ?

Edited by Dogface

Test the bearing by using a few drops of oil on the space between the pulley and the mounting shaft. If the noise stops ten the bearing is going dry.

Bob Stelmack

Great tip, Bob...thanks ;)

Just tried what you said, Bob..... BINGO...it worked.... now to find a fitting for my grease gun that matches the zerk on the pulley

Thank you all for your input !!!!

2 drops of white sewing machine oil in every oiling hole-every 12 hour of sewing is the 441 receipt, no grease-please! :) (the pulley has a oiling hole on the top of the head)

Edited by Trox

Trox, I'm not talking about the machine head...this is the speed reducer pully under the table that was chattering...It has a grease zerk. I understand your post re: the holes in the head. I'll look on top of the head for that hole but that's not where the chatter came from...

OK Dogface, (nice dog by the way) thats a grease job for sure. Or mine has a little brass reservoir I use leather fat in (Gold Quality by the way.) Good for worn out patcher shuttles as well, keep them in place :)