jasonb159

Maker's Mark/stamp

I've been looking and haven't found the answer yet. If I've missed it, my apologies.

I really like using the oiled show harness leather (specifically show harness from W&C, the tan just looks great) for bags etc. I know it's not good for stamping designs. My question is: What would be the best way to put your brand/logo on this type of leather? Stamp? Brand? Something else I don't know about?

Also, if anyone knows what would glue this leather together would be a great help. I have tried cement and super glue with no success. There is a latex one I tried that had some success, but it was still easily separated.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Branding or hot stamping, hot foil stamping etc. Up in the banners at the top of the page is LW leatherworks. I would give them a call. Have you tried Weldwood contact cement. I have not run into anything it has not glued. First rough the two surface to be glued together with some sandpaper. Once you apply the Weldwood contact cement to both surface let the cement dry. It should be dry to the touch no moisture or tackiness felt. carefully align the pieces and press together rub with palm of hand or what ever. Then walk away and do something else for several hours to allow the glue to cure. Your pieces should be well stuck together.

For hot foil stamping try these people out:

http://www.phillipsengraving.com/Magnesium_Dies.html

I have my Makers mark stamp from them and I'm really happy with the service, the price and the stamp :-)

You can cold emboss W&C harness with a die and arbor press. You will get nicer and more durable marks with a hot foil stamper.

Barge cement will work nicely.

Contact Owasso in Owasso Michigan. They make letterpress plates and huge numbers of commercial leather embossing dies. Joe will be able to tell you what kind of die to order and how to set your art up. Magnesium dies are suitable for hot/hot foil stamping as well as cold embossing if you mount them to a little piece of steel so they don't deform.

This is by far the cheapest way to have dies made. Delrin can't compete for cost or durability.

I also use W&C Show harness for all my bags. I actually just use my current stamp from LW Leather (Horrible experiance obtaining my stamp but that is another issues) and I use a C clamp and leave it overnight. It's a cheap way to obtain a good press. Works well for me!