Yeldarb

Help With A Leather Tote

I have been wanting to make one of these bags hand stitched. Where I am having trouble is on the bottom where the side seam comes in contact with the bottom seam and how to navigate that. Any help from someone who has already made a bag like this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

cca655bfd6f846230d0bdbf580cd8775.jpg

A market tote is very simple to make. Here is a Youtube video that shows one being made. The bottom portion you are interested in starts around 5:55 mark. Now she is making this with vinyl and home decor fabric but it is the same principle/same steps when making it with leather.

I personally make mine with one piece of leather. A tad less stitching that way, but there is nothing wrong with making this bag with two pieces of leather.

There are a lot of blogs and videos online of people making market totes and even giving you the pattern they used, (Sure they may be made from fabric but sewing is sewing, you are just using a different medium and with some things like wallets, you have to adjust for the thickness of the leather - but you don't have to worry about that with this market tote) A quick Google search will yield many more results. I am sure once you see it made a few times you will see it is pretty easy actually.

Good luck!

Karina

Veedbub's method is correct, but I will say that the thickness of the leather might actually come into play.

On this tote, I used two layers of 4/5oz and I was unable to make both inside folds because there was just too much material. As you can see, I had to compromise by stitching the sides protruding outward.

post-36919-0-88638900-1426702665_thumb.j

Veedub3 and pg043, thanks for both of your responses.

I watched the video and at 7:50 when she cuts the end off, I am worried about the stitching coming undone for the stitching that is being cut off. When stitching by hand I think that could be an issue. Any thoughts?

Edited by Yeldarb

When I do it the way shown in the video, when I sew across the bottom of the bag, I make sure I go through one of the vertical stitch holes to lock that stitch in. When I cut off the ends at the bottom, hit the thread with the lighter and it's not coming loose.

What is shown in the video is only one way to make this bag. There are so many more versions online. I personally use one piece of leather now to make this bag. Tomorrow, I will post pics of how I do it to give you a better idea. Maybe that will help.

Karina

Okay here are some photos so that hopefully you can get a better idea. I am going to do this with two pieces of leather like in the video.

First lay the pattern out on the leather and cut out the pattern. (This bag will be approximately 16"W, 14"H x 5"D)

post-32363-0-69618500-1426866767_thumb.j

Both pieces cut out.

post-32363-0-97264700-1426866815_thumb.j

Place the two pieces so that the exterior is facing each other and sew across the bottom as you usually would remembering to back stich a few times to lock the stitch in.

post-32363-0-77053500-1426866681_thumb.j post-32363-0-16276000-1426866958_thumb.j

Next sew down the sides of the bag remembering to back stitch a few times to lock the stitch in.

post-32363-0-81272300-1426867045_thumb.j

(I didn't sew down the side of this bag because I still need to sew on a zippered pouch on the front and a pouch inside, so I need the bag open to do that, but you will still clearly see what has to be done to complete the bag.)

OK position the bag like this and pinch the two sides closed.

post-32363-0-23034300-1426867242_thumb.j post-32363-0-63353600-1426867332_thumb.j

A close up of the bag when the bottom and sides are pinched together and ready to sew.

post-32363-0-02148500-1426868404_thumb.j

Now sew across the bottom side of the bag.

post-32363-0-75852000-1426867482_thumb.j

I hope this gives you a better idea of how it is done. If I lost you along the way let me know and I will see if I can clarify it for you.

Karina

Nice explanation Karina. Spot on!

Karina, thanks for the very clear how-to!!

Blue Duck and Monica, Thanks and I am glad it was easy to follow. I was worried so instead of just showing the part the original poster was stuck on, I decided to start from the beginning.

Glad to see you guys understood perfectly, thanks again,

Karina

And Monica, once I finish this one I will post pictures. I have a new area set up in the shop just for picture taking now so I have no excuse:)

Veedub3,

Thanks a bunch that is perfect to what I was looking for. I will give it a go this weekend and post a picture when I finish. I really appreciate the time you put into this.

Kind Regards,

Brad

Yaaay, Karina! It's because I'm actually in Atlanta, right? You know, potentially, that I actually could chase you down. ;)

Yaaay, Karina! It's because I'm actually in Atlanta, right? You know, potentially, that I actually could chase you down. ;)

Ha,ha,ha.... I promise you won't have to chase me down Monica. :) I will post a pick of it as soon as it is finished. I am waiting on the right color zipper to arrive then I will put it all together and get some shots of it so I can post it.

Karina

Veedub3,

Thanks a bunch that is perfect to what I was looking for. I will give it a go this weekend and post a picture when I finish. I really appreciate the time you put into this.

Kind Regards,

Brad

Brad, glad I could help, and make sure you let us see the finished product!

Karina

I highly recommend using one piece of leather just like veedub3 said. Saves times and the bottom inside is much nicer.

I highly recommend using one piece of leather just like veedub3 said. Saves times and the bottom inside is much nicer.

Do you have any pictures of bags you've made using the single piece method? I am tempted to do that next time, as it does sound like it would save time and make the seam stitching easier.

Oops, sorry forgot to answer you. I don't have any photos of the inside of the tote and it's been sold. Here's one of the outside.

post-43646-0-27932400-1427552213_thumb.j

Depending on the leather you are working with, it might help to skive the edges a bit before sewing.

Michelle