Sign in to follow this  
smudley

Neatlac Replacement?????

Well folks, I guess you've heard the news by now that Tandy has discontinued another fine product--Neatlac. Now that I can't find any, does anyone have any bright ideas, or crazy ones for that matter, or even mad scientist potion recipes for a replacement product? One of the folks in my guild (Calumet Area Leathercrafters Guild) said it is basiclly a mixture of Neatsfoot oil and Laquer. Ok, I can go for that, but in what ratio? And. I saw Toloul listed on the can as well. What's that, and how much is used?:begging:

Heck, if Tandy keeps discontinuing all the good stuff, we'll have to go back to the stone age days techniques to get anything done, unless we can find other sources of compatible products. BTW, I did find 1 spray can of Neatlac in the store, but absolutely NO liquid in any size container. I know Fiebings makes a spray Saddle Lac, which is compatible, but I haven't seen any liquid of that either, and the iiquid is what I am needing for blocking and prefinishing.

Anybody's bright, crazy, or otherwise, ideas will be considered for trial mixture.....as long as my personal safety isn't put at risk. Aw, what the heck, put it at risk, it's been pretty boring around here lately!!!! :wacko:

Never liked the stuff myself. I started using Bee Natural RTC and haven't looked back. Chan Geer told me about it. He was very instrumental in creating it and it works as a resist as well as Neatlac but goes on thinner, doesn't smell at all and dries in minutes.Doesn't go bad or thicken- heck- you can almost drink the stuff.

try it

pete

use primarily neatlac, also spray neatlac or spray saddle lac. All good stuff. I have supershene in quarts & spray. I don't like it as well, but it is compatible with some stuff that I can't use with neatlac or saddle lac, so I need to use it whenever... I have a business account so I don't really know if it is being totally discontinued.

good luck. (you may want to double check that out- that it's being discontinued! I don't know if that's only for calif???)

russ

You could spray the saddlelac onto an old dinner plate and dip your brush or whatever in the puddle.

Neatlac is my favorite too. I was able to hoard a little in the last few months. If you want some, Tandy in Portland Oregon still has a few cans left (some spray and small cans).

I also have to recomend RTC too. It is a good product once you get the hang of applying it (do not try to spread it thin, thick and fast).

Neatlac is my favorite too. I was able to hoard a little in the last few months. If you want some, Tandy in Portland Oregon still has a few cans left (some spray and small cans).

I also have to recomend RTC too. It is a good product once you get the hang of applying it (do not try to spread it thin, thick and fast).

I just made a tandy run this morning. Picked up the last gallon they had in the Tandy store in Delmont (Pittsburgh, PA). Got a good price on it, too. :thumbsup: