LoneWolf1973

Unknown Tools 1

Ok...here I go. I bought a few leather tool lots from ebay and they arrived today. Most of the items are what I knew I was getting and paid for. There are a few items I am questioning though. All in all it was well worth the money though. I am going to have to do this in four posts to get them all.

A. Two swivel knives...by looking at the way they are designed they look to be old.

B. I have no clue.

C. This is a numbered Crafttool beveler but the tool head is different then the one on the tool list I have.

D. Not sure but these appear to be a type of screwdrivers.

post-48901-0-33844800-1428004604_thumb.j

post-48901-0-27402000-1428004610_thumb.j

post-48901-0-80775500-1428004613_thumb.j

post-48901-0-79971600-1428004616_thumb.j

I think i have the same beveler. I'll check tonight. What's the number on it?

Okay, let's see if I can help. In photo #1, you have an old saddle swivel knife possibly a C.S. Obsorne (check to see if the blade screws on) There should be a name on the inside of the saddle (where your finger goes). The second one on the right, is just an older Tandy or Craftool adjustable swivel knife. I doubt there will be an engraved name on it. There are about 3 different styles of barrels (I think) a smoothier checking, medium and coarse checking. I am sure Wyoming Slick might be able to provide more information.

In your second photograph, the tool on the left looks a lot like a modeling spoon, possibly a vintage C.S. Osborne. The two tools on the right with wooden handles are just single line creasers used to decorate the ends of your projects.

In the third photograph, you have a F series smooth beveler commonly used for figure carving projects. There are a whole set form small to larger bevelers in this series.

finally, in the last photograph, you have two lacing awls. The blunt points are so they do not pierce your calf or other type of lacing materials.

Enjoy your catch!

On the first knife...I had to use a magnifying glass but there are words (I think I made out osbourne) but couldn't read them...it is pretty worn. The blade does screw on. On that beveler...I am going to have to look for the set...I hate tooling just to have the extra marks. To me it is ok for some things but others it looks tacky.

cgleathercraft...it is number 197

All the craftool's that were in the lot are vintage by comparing to the chart I have. It shows the old tools with the numbers and the new equivalents and they're numbers (407 veiner compared to V407 veiner).

OK...in the lot the knives and edgers were in was two books...Lucky Seven and General Leathercraft (school book). Both of these are from 1955 (which I think is awesome). If I would have looked, the Lucky Seven book (by Tandy (original printing)), it showed the second knife and the edgers.

Picture D - 'Maid o' Metal' look like some sort of fids, probably for lacing.

cgleathercraft...it is number 197

Intersting mine looks almost identical and is an F896 (Craftool Co. USA)

BTW .. The single line creasers are really groovy tools. I have a couple and love 'em.

Bill