Seriously take my word for this....ditch all the black dyes that you are using and buy the Tandy Black Waterstain......I can tell you that this stuff, after allowing it to dry will not come off even if your holding the dyed piece in running water....

save yourself a pain in the rear and just use this stuff trust me I will be the first person to say that I am not all that thoroughly impressed with many Tandy products but this is a quality product that is the end-all for anyone dyeing things black.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble and report this, but the Pro-Waterstain will bleed/rub off under certain conditions. I agree that it's a fantastic product, and under most circumstances it's a very good choice. I used it on a holster prototype and put it through the wringer. As you said, it will not come off...even in running water. But if the leather gets truly soaked, it's game over. I had a job that required full PPE, including tyvek coveralls, so I removed my EDC pistol but kept the holster on. An hour and a half of hard work in 90 degree weather while wearing the tyvek meant that everything I was wearing was soaked with sweat. Even the holster was soaked...and bleeding black on my pants, belt, and inside of the tyvek suit. I let the holster dry and the result is that there are areas where what used to be black is now kaleidoscope of red, plum, blue, and black.

This certainly qualifies for "abusing" the holster but once a piece of gear leaves my hands I have no idea what it'll go through, so products need to be as 'everything proof' as possible. I still use the waterstains, but only on items that most people wouldn't subject to hard use. Holsters and sheaths will get the time tested methods.

I currently use pro- oil dyes for as much as possible, applied after oiling. Then it's buffed, buffed again, and sealed with Resolene or a lacquer finish.

Thank you all. I'm learning so much here, and my work's improving. I want it to keep on improving.