Christoffer

Bottom Mechanism Dont Move (Brother Ls2-B837

Hi!

Im both new to the forum and to walking foot sewing machines.

I've used industrial sewing machines before, mostly Jukis, but never had a problem with them.

I have a Brother LS2-B837, but I assume that this problem could happen to other machines as well.

I just changed thread, a thread got stuck in the bobin, i pull the nest out and try to continue.

Suddently the lower mechanism doesnt move at all, nothing. It does not engage. When I tip the machine up I cant find anything stuck. In fact, everything moves very easy. The pulley spinns freely on the main axle and wont engage. Why isnt it locked into place? What have happened?

/Chris

Many machines similar to yours employ a safety clutch which trips out in the event of a jam. After ensuring there is no more material caught in the hook or bobbin area, you could try depressing the spring loaded button located about halfway back on the flat part of your bed, then feel for it to engage/click as you rotate the handwheel backwards. Release the button, then cycle the machine forward by hand to see if it is re-engaged and operates freely and in time. Disclaimer: I don't have that exact machine; your mileage may vary.

-DC

Edited by SARK9

It sure indeed have this button. The down position of this spring loaded button would stop the axle from turning. How ever, it spring back up freely.

In the end there is a ratchet mechanism, it looks like if this was engaged, the pulley would turn the axle, but its not. There dont seem to be a way to change this by a simple grip of the hand?

Edited by Christoffer

Make sure you are turning the handwheel *backwards* with the button depressed. This would mean the top of the handwheel is rotating AWAY from you, or if you are looking at the handwheel from the right end of the machine, you would turn it clockwise.

-DC

Make sure you are turning the handwheel *backwards* with the button depressed. This would mean the top of the handwheel is rotating AWAY from you, or if you are looking at the handwheel from the right end of the machine, you would turn it clockwise.

-DC[/quote

Yes, this I have done, no matter which way I turn the hand wheel, or how fast, or how much, the pulley spinns, but not the axle. And the axle is not stuck in anyvway, it moves freely by hand.

Here is a video of a similar machine with some things to check and a view of all the operations of the clutch.

-DC

That video saved my day! My machine dont have that reset hook, but now It's maually reset! Thank you very much

It's common for that reset hook to go missing. I used to remove them so the operator had to call for help rather than just keep resetting the machine without clearing the jam. Save a lot of hooks and other parts that way. If I recall, I mention that in the video. If your machine spent any time in a factory, I'm sure I'm not the only one that's done the same thing.

Regards, Eric

Gottaknow quoth: "I used to remove them so the operator had to call for help rather than just keep resetting the machine without clearing the jam. Save a lot of hooks and other parts that way. If I recall, I mention that in the video."

I did not realize this was your video, or I would never have linked to it without attribution. Thanks for all the excellent information you share on this forum and elsewhere!

-DC

No worries DC, I'm just glad some folks find my information and experience useful. I'm actually apprenticing a new mechanic right now and am putting together pdf's of my lecture time. I may end up making them all available here. I'm also recording more video and will putting it on my youtube. The mechanic I'm training will actually work in our Seattle factory, so I'll do part of his training online. Next time I'm in Seattle, I'll be making a video of our leather luggage factory. We make some really amazing luggage.

Regards, Eric

Eric was one of the Life-savers here at LW that helped me with my Singer 111G156 a while back. Thanks again Eric.

CD in Oklahoma

You're welcome CD. I wish I had more time to help folks. I need a Star Trek transporter to just pop in and take care things.

Regards, Eric

gottanow - THANK YOU so very much for the excellent video. I have had my Brother LS2-B837 for several months and have been very frustrating not understanding what the clutch was for or that the button was there to lock the shaft. What a life saver! Thank you.

I am still trying to understand the thread tension as the thread jumps off the "pulley" when the arm comes down. Any ideas? I can try and make a video if that will help explain what I am asking.