Sign in to follow this  
fishguy

Casting your own conchos in pewter

I was thinking that it would be neat to be able to produce your own conchos by casting them in lead-free pewter. Has anyone done this? Do you think they would be too soft to hold up to the wear and tear they might be exposed to?

I BELEIVE THAT THEY WOULD BE TOO SOFT.......I M H O P.

It's basically what Buffalo Brother's conchos are made from and they hold up quite well to normal wear and tear.........lso I cast pewter parts for knife handles (as has been done for a couple of hundred years at least) and when not abused they wear just fine.......

Edited by ChuckBurrows

This guy may be able to help out here:

Steve Millingham Pewter Replicas

Church Tower Mint

Hopton Cangeford

Ludlow

Shropshire

SY8 2EE

UK

International telephone / fax number +44 1584-823304

email:

web:
www.pewterreplicas.co.uk

I've cast many pieces in white metals (Pewter and the like) as part of my work.

These days things are much simpler; RTV silicone moulding rubbers are cheap and there are several I know of which are designed for limited-run white metal casting.

I would suggest the Conchos, or whatever you're considering making, thicker and more robust than a piece designed for brass or silver.

The original model for the Concho can be made using traditional modelmaking techniques, or simply sculpted in relief on a smooth flat surface in modelling clay and moulded.

You can get some nice patinating fluids these days too, to give your castings very convincing aged patinas.

Cheers,

Karl

I would look past pewter and go straight for Britainia (sp?). It only takes a few more minutes to melt and it's a good bit harder that pewter. And if you do sand casting (which is what I do when I have the time and money) it won't burn your sand any more than pewter because it cools almost as fast.

Damon