Walesy

Hello! How Do I Get Started In Leather Working?

Hello!

I am new to all of this. I'm a woodworker but now want to start leather working. I want to carve leather and to sew things like handbags, wallets, and maybe holsters and chaps down the line.

I have been looking at the Tippmann Boss but really have no idea if that is the best choice. I'd welcome your opinions.

Thanks!

Walesy

Welcome I use to do wood working also and still do to make forms for molding leather. Boss is good but my .02 wait do some hand sewing first till you find you like leather and get your feet down to really know what you wish to do.

Hand sewing is stronger and makes more attractive stitches, there's a bit of a learning curve to it but it's definitely cheaper than a sewing machine!

I have a Boss, and for thicker items I prefer it over hand stitching. For a lot of smaller things like small sheaths, I just break out the needle and awl. For something like a bag or a belt, you'll only make one or two with the Boss, then you'll buy a motorized machine.

The Boss excels where space and/or portability are essential. It will handle thicker (3/4") leather and it's easy to control because YOU are the power supply. Since YOU are placing every stitch, it's really simple to put the stitch exactly where you want it. However, when you make a lined belt, that means pulling the lever for every single stitch...at 5 or 6 spi (stitches per inch) x length of the belt ( a size 36 waist uses a 42-45 inch belt strap) x 2 (top and bottom row of stitches)...it adds up quickly.

If portability and space aren't an issue, I'd strongly recommend getting a motorized machine as your first machine, and you can get a decent medium weight machine for about the same money as the Boss.

**I've also had some slight adjustment issues when trying to use thinner thread on the Boss...it seems to like heavier threads, but that may just be MY sewing machine**

Now....about Leather Working -

While the overall quality of the tools and material in them isn't the greatest, there are several companies offering "starter kits", The kits come in several size/skill levels. Tandy Leather is probably the most common supplier of them. And while they aren't the best, they DO have what is needed to complete the projects listed...most importantly - INSTRUCTIONS. You *will* want to upgrade tools as you go, but for just getting started, the kits are a good way to go as they teach you process as well as construction.