bushpilotmexico

Wet Forming My Cowboy Fast Draw Holster

I appreciate all the help and hints I have gotten so far on my cowboy action holster and belt.

With the belt finished, the holster is now ready to wet form. The holster is sewn with two 8 oz pieces of veg tanned leather glued together.

Mongo gave me some excellent hints on the actual forming. This will be a fast draw holster so it's not going to be a friction fit rather just the opposite friction less.

My dilemma is how much to soak or better to say wet the leather. Building knife sheaths and quivers I have cased and stamped leather before and even wet formed a few knives to fit the sheath.

I am open for suggestions as to how long I should wet the leather for my holster before I attempt the forming process.

Thx

post-32133-0-44607000-1430078634_thumb.j

Mine is usually just a good "dunk", . . . doesn't last over 5 or 6 seconds. Then I give it a few minutes to allow the water level to even out. I have to do that because almost all my Western rigs are two layers bonded together, . . . need that time for the water to get down to the bottom fibers in the stack.

I've never had a problem doing that.

You also won't want to allow it to get all sloppy, soaking, wet, . . . as the stamping and stuff will lose it's crispness, . . . look more like something rolled out by a press in China, . . . rather than fine detailed hand stamping.

May God bless,

Dwight

Mine is usually just a good "dunk", . . . doesn't last over 5 or 6 seconds. Then I give it a few minutes to allow the water level to even out. I have to do that because almost all my Western rigs are two layers bonded together, . . . need that time for the water to get down to the bottom fibers in the stack.

I've never had a problem doing that.

You also won't want to allow it to get all sloppy, soaking, wet, . . . as the stamping and stuff will lose it's crispness, . . . look more like something rolled out by a press in China, . . . rather than fine detailed hand stamping.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight, kind of what I was thinking because I don't want my stamping to disappear either. I was reading that someone did the 10 to 15 second dunk and then walked away from the leather for an hour or so before starting to form.

Never having formed one before i'm just a little nervous....I have ordered Bianchi's videos and even though the Uberti 1973 Cattleman arrived Friday I can wait a few more days before starting.

I'm more concerned about the loop as I don't want it to stretch out of shape but it also has to adapt to the holsters new form.

Thx

Thx

Looks pretty good can't wait to see it on the belt.

Excellent work, of course. I tend towards the buscadero type holster, although not historically correct I understand. Mine was simple because I needed something (left handed) for my Ruger .45 acp/.45 lc. I desined it from scratch to fit me. Not great, but it works for me.