macmandr197

Calculating Sq. Footage...

Hey guys! So I'm going to be starting my first leatherworking project soon and I was wondering, how do I calculate the square footage of leather that I need? I'm going to be using these plans (https://wkdesigner.wordpress.com/2009/08/17/push-the-envelope/) If you guys could either figure out the square footage, or at least give me a formula? Thanks in advance!

Edit: I wrote the part below before I re-read your post and saw it is your first project. I do not wish to impugn your abilities or confidence, but how about something a wee bit smaller and less complex? As you're new to this you may not want to risk a large piece of leather (and the investment) on a project that, if it fails, could put you off the craft for the future.

Just a thought.

Work out which parts you are going to make out of leather and which out of fabric (such as the lining and so on) or which parts out of which weight of leather. Allow extra for the seams (and that depends how far in your stitch line will be which will depend on the weight of the leather and the look you desire). Will the strap be single or double thickness (I presume you aren't making it to the fabric pattern and folded over)?

Basic arithmetic (width x length) will give you the square footage you need (or even count the squares in that handy design you refer to - remembering to add on for the seams). There are 144 sq ins in a sq ft.

Then, as a SWAG, add 15% if you are happy with using most of the leather or add up to 35% if you are going to use only the best bits. And maybe a bit more for luck.

Make a pattern out of paper so you can lay it out on the leather when you get it so you can see where to cut what.

Edited by gary

Buy a side of leather it will be cheaper than buying by the foot.

Hello macmandr, i think it is admirable you want to tackle such a challenging project so early on, but as a recent beginner myself i would have to agree with what has been said above about maybe building some simpler projects first, unless of course you feel you already have all the skills needed for such a project. I personally was shocked how much harder leathercraft is when you actually begin to do it rather than just watching on you tube. Maybe a belt or two and a card wallet to get the feel for working with leather and getting all the different skills together that will be needed for such a project. Just my opinion of course but good luck with whatever you decide, one thing is for sure there will be no shortage of good people on here to ask for help if you decide you need it.

Thanks for the help guys! I was actually planning on ordering a few extra bits of leather as I was going to make a matching wallet before I attempt the bag. Just so I can get the stitching, and layout down. Oh, and gary I wasn't planning on lining the bag, but we'll see what happens. I was going to use the pattern as a rough guideline. I'm used to reading blue prints (from drafting and design, as well as reading woodworking and manufacturing plans) but I'm thinking patterns like this will be a different story!

Edit: I wrote the part below before I re-read your post and saw it is your first project. I do not wish to impugn your abilities or confidence, but how about something a wee bit smaller and less complex? As you're new to this you may not want to risk a large piece of leather (and the investment) on a project that, if it fails, could put you off the craft for the future.

Just a thought.

Work out which parts you are going to make out of leather and which out of fabric (such as the lining and so on) or which parts out of which weight of leather. Allow extra for the seams (and that depends how far in your stitch line will be which will depend on the weight of the leather and the look you desire). Will the strap be single or double thickness (I presume you aren't making it to the fabric pattern and folded over)?

Basic arithmetic (width x length) will give you the square footage you need (or even count the squares in that handy design you refer to - remembering to add on for the seams). There are 144 sq ins in a sq ft.

Then, as a SWAG, add 15% if you are happy with using most of the leather or add up to 35% if you are going to use only the best bits. And maybe a bit more for luck.

Make a pattern out of paper so you can lay it out on the leather when you get it so you can see where to cut what.

Thanks again Gary! I think I was going to try using this leather (http://springfieldleather.com/42086/Side%2COilTan%2CRanchHand%2C4-5oz/) I'm assuming it would be good for that pattern? and as for stitching, I was thinking 5mm in from the edge? if you have an other wisdom to impart on me, I would be happy to lend an ear! :P