bushpilotmexico

Straight Gun Belt Versus Buscadero

I got my Bianchi videos on making a buscadero belt and holster. John shows how to cut the pattern out using a curve.

Would the same curve apply to a straight gun belt? Kind of seems logical that it would. The pattern that I got from Slickbald Custom Leather and the subsequent belt I made was completely straight.

Thx

I think it would depend entirely on what you had in mind. If you are looking for a really low-slung holster, buscadero is the way to go.

If you are looking for one holster on each side, like in Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS), then a straight belt is fine.

If you /want/ a curved belt for your holster to sit on, the holster just would not sit as low as the holster would hang from the top of the belt (since, on a buscadero, the same holster hangs from a slot on the bottom of the belt).

The rigs I make are mainly for cowboy action shooting. Most shooters want a straight gun belt so they can slide the holsters out of the way when they sit down during a match. I have never been asked to curve a straight belt. Very few cowboy action shooters ask for buscadero rigs and the few I have made have been straight (by shooter request) unlike the curve style that Bianchi shows on his DVD set.

Some my rigs with straight belts that I made over 10 years ago for local shooters have taken a curve from being worn and sweated on over the years during our hot and humid summers.

a curved belt will be more comfortable and will ride lower on the hips with out dropping off the hips. The straight will ride higher on the waist above the hips. One of the biggest aspects to curved vs straight is the amount of wastage that will come from making curved belts. Women benefit more from the curved belt because of body build.

I agree with Treed woman will benefit more from a curved belt then men will because of body types. You have to look at the pupose and the way the different belt work. A Buscadero belt (curved type is designed to form around the hips, they are usually wider the a standard 2 1/2" gun belt. The buscadero has the loops below the main belt body for the holsters. When the Buscadero is put on it will form to the hips basically hugging the hips the holster will hang down when tie downs are used this will bring the holster in against the body and the grips of the revolvers will be out away from the body facilitating an easy draw. On a straight gun belt it is usually worn a little higher the top edge of the belt usually just below bottom of the pant belt the holsters ride on the belt not drop down loops so they ride higher. If you take and make a standard gun belt curved when you put it on it will try to form to the body with the holsters on the belt the holsters will tend to want to point away from the body at the bottom and will bring the grips of the revolver in against the body which in most cases will tend to hamper the draw. On less you are a guy with an hour glass figure.

Thx to everyone you have been a great help as always.

Cliff

Treed and Camano Ridge make excellent points. I did make a curved combination pistol/shotgun shell belt for my wife's cowboy action rig. I made the pattern to fit her shape exactly. She never liked how a straight belt rig fit her.

I made the front curved part of the belt 3" wide and then attached 1 1/2" billets that could be changed with Chicago screws (the belt buckles in the back). It's similar to Kirkpatrick brand Tequila Ladies Rig, but has more of "C" shape than Kirkpatrick's "U" shaped belt.