Just bought some line 24 snaps from Zack White to try my hand at installing them... Installation went very smooth with the anvil and punch, but then I had to beat it with the hammer to get the two halves to snap together, and pretty much the same amount of force to get them apart... Is this supposed to be like this? I had made my third holster with snap loops in mind and had to change my plan to a pancake because the snaps would tear through the 8oz leather if I were to force it apart... Just wondering what is going on here... Any ideas? Thanks.

Pete

Wow!, never had that problem, You must have gotten a bad batch of snaps. I have had some that were a little tight at first but loosened up after a couple times. But never had to beat them to get them to snap. I don't know what to tell you other than send them back to where you got them. I always order mine from Weaver never had a problem. The tandy ones always seem to work just fine also.

Randy

If you smack um to hard when installing they deform somewhat and become a bear to snap and unsnap, usually will loosen up with use.

I don't know what choices you have over there but out here I have 3 choices, soft, medium or strong! The strong ones are very hard to open. They are used for diff applications depending on the strength required. Are you using the correct one?

Tony.

Didn't have choices how strong the snaps are, I just picked line 24 snaps in black from Zack White. I tried a couple sets of snaps within the package and they were all hard to snap together. Definitely couldn't snap them together with finger pressure but did not need to smack them hard to snap with a hammer. I didn't order too many so I am okay. Dot fasteners have a minimum order now so I will try Weaver to see how those work. Thanks all.

I think I know what the problem is, if you're using the same type of setter I am (I'll post some photos when I get a chance). The post of the female half has to be really flat after being set, or the two halves don't snap together very easily.

So what I do, after setting the post on the female half, I turn the setter over and tap on it again with the flat side of the setter. This makes it nice and flat, and the snap works a lot better.

Kate

Hi Pete,

Other than crushing them a little on installation, you might have received marine snaps. The stainless ones come in hard to get off, nasty little ba***rds, and holy canvas Batman I'm going to have to burn these off with a torch. In high wind areas, we use the latter. Most marine supply or canvas shops carry a $10 or so tool for snapping and especially unsnapping any of the above. Most of the bargain snaps are ok, but occasionally you get a run of them that just aren't right. The nickle/brass snaps are usually easier to snap/unsnap than the stainless ones. I have found that DOT/Scovill seem to make reliable stuff and a wide variety. You can end up with a mountain of snaps if you go with DOT or Scovill direct as their minimums are high, but there are a few distributors who handle the full line at lower quantities.

Art

Just bought some line 24 snaps from Zack White to try my hand at installing them... Installation went very smooth with the anvil and punch, but then I had to beat it with the hammer to get the two halves to snap together, and pretty much the same amount of force to get them apart... Is this supposed to be like this? I had made my third holster with snap loops in mind and had to change my plan to a pancake because the snaps would tear through the 8oz leather if I were to force it apart... Just wondering what is going on here... Any ideas? Thanks.

Pete

They are the same line 24s everyone else gets from tandy and elsewhere. basic 24s.I have a bag of them too. They have always been finicky, always will be. Hit them too hard, or too soft, and there's nothing but trouble. The only way they work perfectly is with the correct weight leather, and the right smack, and twist. One of the hand setters, or machine setters is the way to go. They put the right goldilocks set to them. There are heavier versions, which give better results by hand. I don't know if zacks carries them or not.

Don't ferget you gotta have just the right squint and yer tongue has got to hang out just right when you smackum. :crazy: Snaps are the bain of my existence in the leather realm :smashcomp::rofl:

Went by Tandy yesterday and picked up a small bag of their line 24 snaps. Visually these were a notch above what I got from Zack so I was hopeful. Anyway, the installation was straight forward and easy with the setter and anvil I got from Tandy, with an equal sized gold ring inside the snaps, and they snapped on and off with slightly heavier hand pressure without the need for hammer. Overall I am much happier now and finished my first snap-loop holster which is ready for dying.

Thanks all!

Went by Tandy yesterday and picked up a small bag of their line 24 snaps. Visually these were a notch above what I got from Zack so I was hopeful. Anyway, the installation was straight forward and easy with the setter and anvil I got from Tandy, with an equal sized gold ring inside the snaps, and they snapped on and off with slightly heavier hand pressure without the need for hammer. Overall I am much happier now and finished my first snap-loop holster which is ready for dying.

Thanks all!

I'd send those thumb buster snaps back to Zack White. I'll bet they'll replace them or refund your money. If it's a small batch they'll probably just send you replacements and tell you to dispose of the others. I have always found that Zack White takes time to listen, has good quality, and their customer service first rate in my limited experience.

Just read where PeterK had a problem with some black snaps that he purchased from Zack White... I wish we had been aware of this sooner. Yes, we have discovered a problem with our Line 24 all 4 parts black snaps.. #B1024BLK... We changed suppliers on our snaps a couple months ago because the NEW company offered Solid Brass Black.. we felt this would be a better snap for our customers. The problem is that the "overspray" on the snaps caused them to be very hard to snap together. We were not aware of this until recently.. when customers brought it to our attention. We have since recalled all these snaps and sent them back to the manufacturer... and have received another shipment from our old supplier. I apologize to PeterK for the snaps he received... they were indeed hard to set and this is NOT the way they are supposed to be. We will be glad to replace any snaps that customers have gotten... just let us know.. we will replace them at no charge, but the only way for us to know if someone has gotten the "bad" snaps is for them to tell us. I will make this pledge to anybody on the Forum who has purchased these snaps from us... if you have got less than 100, call or e-mail us and we will ship out replacement at no cost.. you can keep the old ones. If you got full packs of 100, then ship them back to us and we will send you double back at no cost.

Again, sorry for any inconvience.

Tim / Zack White Leather Co

Folks, having a supplier make offers like that on an open forum is a real testament to their commitment to customer service. Kudos to ZW!

There you go!

Zack White - :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thank you Zack White. I got a bag of 10 sets and they weren't that much money so I haven't tried to get them replaced. Thank you very much for the offer for replacement, I really appreciate it. I will order more from you in the future as your prices are certainly better than Tandy's and I have had good luck with other items I've ordered from you. Thank you for the customer service!