Angie

Ideas For Eyelet Alternative

Hello over there,

my newest project is a bucket style backpack/handbag. I still couldn´t make up my mind wether it is going to be a backpack or a handbag, or even a combination.....

Now I am stuck with a few obstacles.

Originally the idea is to pass a leather string around the upper part of the bag which goes through some metal eyelets. But to set metal eyelets of a large diameter I have to get all the necessary hardware and so on.....

Therefor I was thinking about an alternative for metal eyelets. Like button holes or alike?

Does anybody know how to do button holes in leather?

Saludos :cowboy:

Sorry, it wouldn´t attach the file

post-6358-0-65773200-1432727875_thumb.jp

You can get a large eyelet kit at places like walmart for a cheap price. I bought a kit with 10 eyelets and the tools for under 10.00. I think they were 1/2" holes if I remember right

I am in Spain :)

The largest eyelets I can get are too small.

Have you checked with a fabric supply company in the area? They may have them and if not, may be able to point you somewhere you can get the size you want.

I´ll check again. Maybe the local supplier of buckles and other shoe and bag details also sells eyelets....

Thank you anyways :)

You might check a boating supply shop. Boats, particularly sail boats, have LOTS of things with eyelets in them of all sizes. The shop will likely sell repair kits, although that may not be a cheap place to buy.

Bill

Camping is another recreation that uses eyelets (for tents) I saw an eyelet repair kit at the local outdoor store the other day, although the price for it was probably much higher than you would find elsewhere.

As for alternatives, you could reinforce the holes with leather disks and stitch them into place, but they'll of course get worn faster than metal.

Yes, these are really good ideas! I don´t know why I didn´t remember those places, living here close to the shore and having camping resorts everywhere around....

Soon I will have a look into a sailing shop at one of our countless yacht harbours.

Thank you again,

hopefully my bag/backpack/sack or whatever it will turn out to be, is finished soon, so I can post pictures

Since you live in Spain, I don't know how it translates, but in the US, those large ones are called grommets.

I think the main difference are that eyelets are small and tend to be a single piece of metal. A grommet is larger and has two pieces: an eyelet style piece and a metal washer.

I can find a grommet kit with the requred hardware & tool at a local hardware store, or on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Hodge-1073A-4-Grommet-Kit/dp/B00004Y692/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432817068&sr=8-1&keywords=grommet+kits

It sounds like what you want is called a grommet ('ojal') and not an eyelet ('ojete'). They have similar functions but grommets are two pieces and eyelets are just one piece. Either one requires a setting tool (specific to each size). I have heard of people using ballpeen hammers or anything rounded when they did not want to buy a setting tool.

Grommets are stronger and are available in a wide range of sizes. Where I work they sell up to size 8 or so, which has an opening that is about 1" diameter. That would be large enough for a very large rope.

Call a local shoe repair place and ask where they buy supplies from. The place that sells grommets/eyelets for fixing boots may have them in larger sizes for fixing coats, bags, and tarps.

I dare say that Nuttish's example of the stitched hole looks more traditional, or refined (as in "classy") than grommets or eyelets. For fine leather goods like attache cases or other bespoke goods I would suggest that approach.Where ruggedness, utility, and economy (of manufacturing effort), the grommet or eyelet might be more common. Either approach can work, depending on the application.I see fewer grommets/eyelets in fine dress shoes but lots of them in work boots.

I dare say that Nuttish's example of the stitched hole looks more traditional, or refined (as in "classy") than grommets or eyelets. For fine leather goods like attache cases or other bespoke goods I would suggest that approach.Where ruggedness, utility, and economy (of manufacturing effort), the grommet or eyelet might be more common. Either approach can work, depending on the application.I see fewer grommets/eyelets in fine dress shoes but lots of them in work boots.

Duh. Forgot you have to anchor your lining. Pardon this rough and peanut shaped comp.

post-45824-0-24462600-1433191381_thumb.p