Okay, been doing some small auto holsters, and seem to have found a problem -- the rivets pulling through the leather then the gun faces a sudden stop after the fall! LOL The holsters are 2 layers, inside is 4 to 5 oz leather, the ooutside is a thin 1.5 oz piece. The holster clip was glued in between the 2 pieces and riveted in place, but the rivet pulled through the leather. Any ideas on how I can avoid this? Really dont want to go to a thicker leather if possible, the design is nice and looks good, just seems to have a weak spot!

Thanks for any ideas!

You need to back the belt clip with a piece so sheet metal (about 2"x2" or so). It will spread the stress out.

Can you post some of the holster?

Sure, here you go. Looks like the rivet pulled righ through the leather, gun was an accutek 32 with 5 rounds, so not supoer heavy -- but not light either.Looks like about 20 oz with loaded clip.

http://sasquatchhosting.com/showimages/CIMG0728.JPG

http://sasquatchhosting.com/showimages/CIMG0729.JPG

http://sasquatchhosting.com/showimages/CIMG0730.JPG

http://sasquatchhosting.com/showimages/CIMG0734.JPG

The last one has the clip slid back into the holster. Couldnt figure out an easy way to post images in the post, sorry about the links.

Are you dead set on using that style if rivet? I have always had good luck with the copper ones.

I am learning -- thats why I am here. If there is a better choice I am all for it! I have never used the copper rivets, but am more than willing to try them out.

The copper rivets have more surface area and tend to hold better. I would give those a try and see what you think.

Edited by glockanator

Does the rivet show on the inside? Not sure of how you constructed. Looks like the rivet would be on the inside of the holster and then covered with the outer layer stuff. Also the hole looks too big. I punch a hole barely the size of the rivet stem. If the rivet shows on the inside it could scratch a gun.

I use the same rivet but rivet it to a strip of leather. Then glue and sew that to the outside of the holster. Never had one come loose or fail in 9 years.

I use copper rivets or chicago screws depending on the application... the dual cap rivets have never impressed me. Definitely worth the effort to attach the clip to a separate piece, then glue and sew that piece to the holster if you're doing them in a foldover style holster. You don't want to hear the sound of a newly cerakoted or hydrodipped weapon sliding into a holster with a rivet making contact and marring the finish (made that mistake, and thankfully it was with my own gun, not someone else's).

That hole is WAY too big. Unless the rivet pulled the outside leather off when it came out. The hole needs to be just big enough for the stem as mentioned above. Preferably taking a bit of force to push it through. IMO, you need to deal with the holster being a bit thicker so that you can attach the rivet and clip to an extra piece sewn to the holster so that no hardware has access to the inside too. The reality is, the amount of thickness is going to be minute.

And check out the Bodyguard thread too.

No rivet, metal or any copper shoud ever be exposed to the inside of any holster.....at least not where the actual barrel or slide draws in and out....NEVER!!

As been said, use a seperate piece of leather, maybe even Kydex and sew it to the outside of your holster, attach your clip on that...rivet, sew or glue, but alsways an extra layer to hide metal and to reinforce your work....period!! Hope that makes sense....

James