TomG

Skiving An Edge

When skiving along and edge to do - say a fold - do you do the cut on the granite slab or a cutting mat or board?

My knife is sharp, but it grabs and drags. But I would think the slab would dull the knife tip quickly.

Suggestions?

Skive on a piece of glass. It is too hard for the knife to cut into and dull it. Your stone can dull your knife.

You should skive on a hard, shiny surface - marble, glass, or your granite slab might be OK if it has been polished. I use the glass oven door from an old stove.

As you skive at an angle, the blade edge slides over the surface of the glass and not directly downwards, so it doesn't get blunted by the glass, but of course, it will be blunted by the leather.

might sound unconventional but I picked up a small wood plane that I use to skive my edges. I have the tandy super skiver but found I couldn't get consistent results. Started using the plane and found it much easier to handle and got much better results.