biker55

Beveling And Carving

hello all, I'm practicing laethercarving. but somehow the results don't look right. when I bevel the cut of the image, does the beveling need to be as deep as the cut? how much pressure do I need to apply to the knife , and how deep should the cuts be? thanks

Edited by biker55

If you get a chance, invest in the Leatherwork Manual available on eBay, Amazon, Tandy Leather, and other outlets. It was written by Al Stohlman and a couple of others and it is like a bible for tooling. It easy to provide you instructions in the blind, but for me I like to read and see pictures to show me what I need to do. Good luck

thank you. will check it out.

Number 1 - The swivel knife needs to be sharp, which generally means you need to sharpen new stuff before using, and strop it regular to keep it sharp. If it isn't really, really sharp you will always struggle with your cuts.

2. You should cut half way through the leather.

3.Beveling should go all the way to the bottom of the cut and make the "cut" look go away.

thanks!

Number 1 - The swivel knife needs to be sharp, which generally means you need to sharpen new stuff before using, and strop it regular to keep it sharp. If it isn't really, really sharp you will always struggle with your cuts.

2. You should cut half way through the leather.

3.Beveling should go all the way to the bottom of the cut and make the "cut" look go away.

That one phrase "make the 'cut' look go away" is the most helpful guidance I've read re leatherworking, including the Stohlman books. Thanks for that, exactly expresses something I didn't know.