mathijs050

How Do I Make A Stingray Bracelet?

hi all,

I was looking for stingray bracelet to match my watch but I find the bracelets too expensive, so I decided to make some myself.
but to do that I stumbled across some questions. How are these made?
26mqnsoptb1.jpg
cb2j8s0punx.jpg
It looks like a leather cord with stingray skin wrapped and glued around the leather cord ( correct me if I'm wrong).
And also does anybody know how those metal like intermediate pieces on the bracelet are called and where I can buy them?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I made a few stingray flat bracelets by using a low tack adhesive and mounting the stingray to thin board. Then I ran it through a band saw with a fine tooth blade. the problem is how to treat the edges? If anyone has advice on that? I just left them a little rough.

good luck

Lewis

I made a few stingray flat bracelets by using a low tack adhesive and mounting the stingray to thin board. Then I ran it through a band saw with a fine tooth blade. the problem is how to treat the edges? If anyone has advice on that? I just left them a little rough.

good luck

Lewis

thanks for the tip, and yes I also want to know how to treat the edges.

Mathijs050, looking closely at the red bracelet picture I can see a very faint line where the stingray wraps around the cord and meets. It does look like it's just wrapped around a glued to the cord but it's skillfully done. I doubt I could make that edge as good as they did. I think it would take very precise cutting to do that on a material that isn't easy to cut.

I've seen stingray used in bracelets but as an inlay, not used like this. It's pretty impressive.

Bob

It would probably be best to make a jig out of two paralell pieces of wood spaced the final width of the bracelet cord. draw two lines centered the width of the cord on the stingray, having been cut to the appropriate width. Put contact adhesive on both the cord and stingray. Use wax paper as a buffer between the cord and stingray that you are not working with and stick it down straight and centered for the run of the cord. Then you could place it on your jig, push down, and it would wrap the cord evenly around the sides, then use a tool to fold the tops over. I have never done this, but if i did, that is how I would do it. Hopefully you can pull something usefull from my rambling haha

Mathijs050, looking closely at the red bracelet picture I can see a very faint line where the stingray wraps around the cord and meets. It does look like it's just wrapped around a glued to the cord but it's skillfully done. I doubt I could make that edge as good as they did. I think it would take very precise cutting to do that on a material that isn't easy to cut.

I've seen stingray used in bracelets but as an inlay, not used like this. It's pretty impressive.

Bob

Hi bob,

thanks for the advice, It always looks more easy than it is in reality ;)

Would it be smart to practice first with some stingray embossed cowhide?

It would probably be best to make a jig out of two paralell pieces of wood spaced the final width of the bracelet cord. draw two lines centered the width of the cord on the stingray, having been cut to the appropriate width. Put contact adhesive on both the cord and stingray. Use wax paper as a buffer between the cord and stingray that you are not working with and stick it down straight and centered for the run of the cord. Then you could place it on your jig, push down, and it would wrap the cord evenly around the sides, then use a tool to fold the tops over. I have never done this, but if i did, that is how I would do it. Hopefully you can pull something usefull from my rambling haha

Thank you very much, for a noob me like this is very helpfull! Will definately try that.