thekid77

How To Prevent Leather Edges From Bulging Out When Stitching?

hi everyone, today I was practicing folding leather over itself and stitching through in preparation for making a halter....

I noticed that the leather along the stitched edges bulges out (please see picture) slightly from the rest of the strap that is not stitched.....

Is there any remedy for this?

I have tried tapping the edges back to flush with a hammer and it helped a little bit, but this method seems really crude...

Any advice you could give me is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you in advance :)

post-35282-0-08004900-1435364068_thumb.j

Edited by thekid77

I've had the same thing happen and is because the leather in this area of stitches has been pushed apart. But, you knew that.

No real solution that I am aware of, but it's possible to go over the area with a skiver, verrrrry carefully to even it out. Don't slip!

Jim

Moving your stitching a little farther from the edge will help. To clean it up, I would use a belt sander to straighten out the edge.

I'm assuming you are stitching by hand and not sewing with a machine. The closest solution I have found is to back the leather with a clean wine cork as you pierce the awl through. Pierce right though the leather into the cork and the leather doesn't stretch and bend as much. I just did my first double thickness belt and it helped immensely. Having an awl that is scary sharp helps as well. It takes a while to get the awl that sharp but storing it with the cork impaled on the end keeps it that way even if it drops point down on the deck.

This method seems to work for me. Veg tan is pretty stiff and doesn't always need it, I bought a Horween side which required me to learn the cork method since it's a little more like trying to stab a soggy noodle with a plastic spoon if you don't support it.

All very good advice above, also watch your tension when stitching, although it needs pulling tight it is still possible to pull too hard on some leather types, are you using bridle leather for you belts, if not this might help. Also agree that your stithing might be a bit close to the edge. Good luck.

I've had the same thing happen and is because the leather in this area of stitches has been pushed apart. But, you knew that.

No real solution that I am aware of, but it's possible to go over the area with a skiver, verrrrry carefully to even it out. Don't slip!

Jim

Hey Jim!! Thank you for sharing your experience.....it will be interesting to see what the future holds for the next few straps!! :)

Moving your stitching a little farther from the edge will help. To clean it up, I would use a belt sander to straighten out the edge.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking.....would you go 1/8" away from the edge or further in than 1/8"? Some of the straps are approx 1" in width....Thank you for sharing!

I'm assuming you are stitching by hand and not sewing with a machine. The closest solution I have found is to back the leather with a clean wine cork as you pierce the awl through. Pierce right though the leather into the cork and the leather doesn't stretch and bend as much. I just did my first double thickness belt and it helped immensely. Having an awl that is scary sharp helps as well. It takes a while to get the awl that sharp but storing it with the cork impaled on the end keeps it that way even if it drops point down on the deck.

This method seems to work for me. Veg tan is pretty stiff and doesn't always need it, I bought a Horween side which required me to learn the cork method since it's a little more like trying to stab a soggy noodle with a plastic spoon if you don't support it.

Yeah, I'm hand stitching, but I'm using a stitching chisel to punch through the leather.....I'm thinking about trying to polish the stitching chisel since there are some rough areas that are probably causing the leather to bulge out more than it would if it were nice and smooth :)

All very good advice above, also watch your tension when stitching, although it needs pulling tight it is still possible to pull too hard on some leather types, are you using bridle leather for you belts, if not this might help. Also agree that your stithing might be a bit close to the edge. Good luck.

Hey Oldhat, thank you for your advice....I don't pull my stitches very tight, but I'm going to start tightening them up a bit...I don't have any bridle leather, but I can't wait to get some!! Just have to save my pennies for a while lol :P!!!

Edited by thekid77

A good distance from the edge for the stitch line is 3/16 inch.

Also, that chisel is causing you some grief. The wider your tool, the wider the hole, the more pooch in the leather.

Jim

Edited by Jim

The bulging is caused by the awl, and then the thread, pushing out the narrow strip of leather on the outside of the stitches; rather like a wedge is hammered into the end of an axe or hammer haft to keep the head on.

It doesn't look excessive or unpleasant to me; I would leave it, and after a few weeks of use the normal stretching and working of the leather will probably encourage the bulge to diminish.

Would do no harm to set your line of stitching a bit further in from the edge. A good rule of thumb is to make the distance from the edge the same as the thickness of the leather. Obviously enough that would be 3mm in for 3mm thick leather, and so on.

You could try setting the piece on it's edge in a padded vice jaw or stitching pony and tapping the edge with a piece of wood, or a mallet

I have used sticky backed 120 grit sandpaper stuck to a ruler or straight stick to sand the edge back straight, Keep the ruler parallel to the edge, and concentrate on just sanding the bulge until your sanding marks start to get wider and wider. Once the sandpaper is touching flat on the edge the whole length, the high spot is eliminated. After it is straight, then bevel and finish the edges. This method can also correct edges which are either not quite lined up or not cut with the knife vertical. If you have glued the seam well, the seam line will almost disappear during burnishing.

I also have sections of plastic pipe cut up that I can stick sandpaper on the inside or outside for curves. If the leather is too floppy, clamp the edge in your stitching clamp as close to the edge as possible to hold it for sanding.

Would do no harm to set your line of stitching a bit further in from the edge. A good rule of thumb is to make the distance from the edge the same as the thickness of the leather. Obviously enough that would be 3mm in for 3mm thick leather, and so on.

I agree with this... I've tried few distance, but I guess 3 mm is the optimum.. Well.. I never tried other thickness than 2 mm though..