I have some 2-4 oz Tandy veg tan that I am stamping but I am having a real problem with it drying out. After I have cased it a couple of times, in different sessions, it then gets very very dry, I have used water, and the casing solution I found on here on different pieces. After the pieces have dried then they will not take any more casing and any type of oil or conditioner (Neetsfoot, Evoo, Bee Natural oil, Lexol) soaks in, turning the leather dark to very dark. None of these oils soften it the least bit, the leather is still sttiff and dry. What am I doing wrong or not doing, or what can I do? These are just test pieces for just this reason, to learn from. Sure could use any suggestions or ideas because I am spinning my wheels at this point. Thanks in advance for any input or answers to this.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I would "test" leather soap on a piece.

Saddle soap is a proprietary compound containing mild soap and softening ingredients such as neatsfoot oil, glycerin, Mink oil, and lanolin. It also contains beeswax to protect leather. It is used for cleaning, conditioning and softening leather, particularly that of saddles and other horse tack, hence its name. It is also commonly used for cleaning and conditioning leather footwear and other leather products.

Hope it helps.

with all due respect...you are aware of the difference between casing and adding moisture to leather, yes? kinda sounds to me though as if a finish of some grade has already been applied to this leather....acetone type fingernail polish remover MIGHT knock it off and render it toolable again, but don't hold yur breath...a bag of scrap from TLF is cheap enough to try some adding moisture vs casing...and some stamping practice as well as swivel knife practice....if ya wanna keep that blade sharp (of COURSE you do!)...get at least a small piece of white jewelers rouge...rub it well, i mean REALLY well onto a side of some heavy card paper (like a beer box)...hold the swivel knife blade equal to the angle of the blade...with some pressure, rub yur blade the length of the card...but only go the 1 way with it...try to do both sides an equal number of times...when should you strop the blade? every time you pick up the knife or feel the blade start do drag through the leather.....why use heavy card to make a strop? because leather will compress, and end up rounding the blade edge...the card is less likely to do that.

with all due respect...you are aware of the difference between casing and adding moisture to leather, yes? kinda sounds to me though as if a finish of some grade has already been applied to this leather....acetone type fingernail polish remover MIGHT knock it off and render it toolable again, but don't hold yur breath...a bag of scrap from TLF is cheap enough to try some adding moisture vs casing...and some stamping practice as well as swivel knife practice....if ya wanna keep that blade sharp (of COURSE you do!)...get at least a small piece of white jewelers rouge...rub it well, i mean REALLY well onto a side of some heavy card paper (like a beer box)...hold the swivel knife blade equal to the angle of the blade...with some pressure, rub yur blade the length of the card...but only go the 1 way with it...try to do both sides an equal number of times...when should you strop the blade? every time you pick up the knife or feel the blade start do drag through the leather.....why use heavy card to make a strop? because leather will compress, and end up rounding the blade edge...the card is less likely to do that.

Perhaps I should have said "any more casing OR conditioners" and yes I am aware of the difference. It does, as you mentioned, seem that some type of sealer has be applied, but, in fact, it hasn't, hence my question. I was hoping someone might have run into the same problem and be willing to shed some light the problem. Not exactly sure what stamping and swivel knife practice enter into this question but thanks for your post. This is a practice piece from the same side I am going to try to use for my project. Thanks again for any help I can get.

Paul

the mention of practice was in regard to practicing adding moisture vs. casing...i think the only way of truly testing for a finish to have already been applied would be to see if a drop of dye acts as it should...just 1 drop should tell ya....if it beads up at all & tries to roll around, its got somethin on it...hope I've been of some help :)

the mention of practice was in regard to practicing adding moisture vs. casing...i think the only way of truly testing for a finish to have already been applied would be to see if a drop of dye acts as it should...just 1 drop should tell ya....if it beads up at all & tries to roll around, its got somethin on it...hope I've been of some help :)

Thanks for that idea, I will give that a try, all I know is I didn't put any finish on it myself. I visited your website and you have some beautiful work on there. I like it a lot. Good luck on your school.

Paul