Orphan

Cobra Class 20 Question.

Hey all. I've finally got enough business to justify a sewing machine and wondered if anyone had any time on a Cobra 20. I'm making mostly belts and wallets, a set of chaps here and there and a few holsters. I know this machine won't really work for holsters but I make few enough of them I can still hand sew those. The main question is, do I go with the 20 rather than a 3 or 4 since most of my work is lighter? My understanding of the class 3 and 4 is they have issues on light weight leather with lighter threads. I'm figuring that the 20 will do 90% of what I need done until, if, my holster work gets to the point where a 441 clone will be needed on a normal basis. Thanks in advance.

The only Cobra with a 20 in it is the AK-20 strap cutter. What you seem to be describing is a Cobra Class 18 machine. This machine should be based on the Highlead GC 0618-1SC machine. Make sure this is the base machine when ordering, and accept no others. I have two of these machines which work flawlessly. It would be nice if they did a Class 20 on the Highlead GC2268 which is the cylinder arm version of the 618, but haven't seen it yet. No problem though, Cowboy makes the 227R which fills that bill quite nicely.

Art

Another vote for the 227 for this type of work. If you find you prefer a table to a cylinder, then Bob has the Consew 206RB-5, which is basically the same capacity (material, needles, thread) only in a flatbed type machine.

Edited by JLSleather

Hey all. I've finally got enough business to justify a sewing machine and wondered if anyone had any time on a Cobra 20. I'm making mostly belts and wallets, a set of chaps here and there and a few holsters. I know this machine won't really work for holsters but I make few enough of them I can still hand sew those. The main question is, do I go with the 20 rather than a 3 or 4 since most of my work is lighter? My understanding of the class 3 and 4 is they have issues on light weight leather with lighter threads. I'm figuring that the 20 will do 90% of what I need done until, if, my holster work gets to the point where a 441 clone will be needed on a normal basis. Thanks in advance.

If most of your work is light weight leather, you should narrow your focus to a light-medium, cylinder walking foot machine. You may not be able to do holsters but like you said it'll cover 90% of what you need done.

Ron

http://springfieldleather.com/43810/Sewing%2CMachine%2CCobra%2CClass20/ This is the machine I've been looking at Art, it's basically the 18 but is supposed to do .5" of veg tanned rather than 3/8th's. I looked at lighter machines but was figuring that this would still let me sew some of my sheaths. They tend to be in the 20 to 24oz range and from what I can see this should handle that. I actually looked at the 227r but would prefer a flatbed for now. I should have refined my question I think. I should have ask if this will do pretty much everything below what I would need a class 4 for? Will it handle 3 layers of 7-8oz veg tan? Will it handle 2 layers 0f 10oz for a gun belt? My apologies for not being that clear in the original post. I plead fuzzed brain. It was late and I'd been up a long time when I posted that lol. Thanks again folks.

Ok,

This Class 20 appears to be a newer design of the Class 18 or Highlead GC20618-1, maybe an XB variant that can run needles up to #25, maybe not, I just don't have experience with it. From the crap photos on the SLC website, Highlead may be getting this new machine from a manufacturer who is a Pfaff cloner. Note the (really bad photos) flat (drop in style) bobbin to the right of the needle and of course the access panel for same (I could be really off course here the photos are so bad). Also the traditional Pfaff pin tray (I call it a cup holder) in the center of the deck between the needle and the riser. I do know one company who builds Pfaff clones for Highlead (and others) and their machines are smoking hot replicas of the corresponding Pfaff. They are building stuff just about as good as Pfaff did, really good. That being said, I have not got my hands on one of these machines, and won't give it my seal of approval until I do.

Your dilemma, will it work? Yes probably. Remember that the Class 18, Consew 206RB5, and a plethora of others, if set-up right will sew 3/8 inch, that's 24oz, and I can attest that the Class 18 can handle it. Set up right, so can a 206 and a whole host of other upholstery machines, and I know trimmers and boat canvas shops that run them at 2000 spm all day long (not sewing 24oz, but many many layers of sunbrella). A little bit of oil and they will last decades. Do you need to sew 32 oz? If so, then you really need a bigger machine as the above machines really aren't made for it, and few are setup for the higher presser foot lift. Is the Class 20 son of Pfaff 1245? Only someone who has worked with one can tell. I have two of the "old model" Highlead/Artisan/Cobra and until I need another, I don't plan on replacing them with the newer model.

So put some questions to the Cobra guys, the Cobra 20 may be a good buy.

Art

Thanks Art that's good info for me. No I don't need to be able to do the full 32oz that it's able to do, supposedly, but right now if it will do what I'm needing it's on special at Springfield for less then either the cobra 18 or the highlead 618. It's not a whole lot less but pennies are pennies and fifty bucks is fifty bucks, know what I mean?

Have you considered a new consew 206rb-5. You can get them new for around $1300-1400

If you can pick it up and save the shipping, that's a walletful. Good Luck.

Art

I purchased a Cobra Class 20 from Kevin at Springfield Leather a month ago. I may have the first one out. I wanted to sew saddle skirt belts with 207 thread and it plays with that task. I haven't used it enough to get as versatile as with my Toro 3000, but it will get better the more I use it, I'm sure. I was going to go with the Class 18 but wanted the heavier capabilities in case my 3000 broke. Great people to work with. Visit them if you get the time.

Here is some information on the new COBRA Class 20!

Feel free to contact me at any time!

Thanks

Cobra Steve

post-9586-0-08731700-1437760495_thumb.jp