JJNorman2323

How Do I Achieve This Look?

This is not my work, and I must give credit where credit is due, this looks awesome. I have tried and tried to achieve this look with my dye and can't seem to come close. Does anyone know how this look is achieved? Do I need to use a combo of dyes, antiques, and stains or is this something that can be done with dye alone? Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated!

Josh

post-56532-0-46450900-1436967267_thumb.j

The only thing I can think of that might give that look would be airbrushing. Cheryl

LOTSA ways that could be done. Look in the right place, you might find entire cow sides already dyed like that.

Dye one color, say, cherry red or chestnut. Take another color that is several shades darker, mahogany perhaps. Use a long haired round paintbrush about 1/2" diameter, give or take. Brush across the darker dye, varying pressure and not going in a straight line. Repeat with another application, possibly another shade (or less diluted dye) after the first has dried. A flat paintbrush could be used as well for wider sections, applied lightly. Use darker shades, not black usually (looks fake).More advanced methods include the types of woodgraining done to restore antique car dashboards, but that is much more involved and requires custom templates and some tinkering.I've played around with both some, but just to test the concept, not on finished goods.

PS dry brushing can help spread the dye and give the grained effect as well.

I think dry brushing would be the first thing I would try.

Dye your base color- a light shade like a tan. Then use your dark brown or another dark color with a dry brush technique. You can vary the intensity of the dark color by diluting it to give you multiple shades in the grain.