Sign in to follow this  
UKRay

Moving My Workshop

7 months ago I made the big decision to move my leather workshop out of my home and into an industrial unit. My business was growing faster than I could handle and lack of space made working fast difficult. I found a small industrial space on an estate nearby and thought all my problems were over... Wrong!

I arrived with a loaded van to find the unit I'd rented was full of someone else's junk. The managing agent was great and showed me another unit - 4 times the size and said "have this for the same price for a year'. I wasn't about to argue. But I hadn't realised what I was taking on. Not even slightly... lol!

Too much space is almost (note: I said almost!) worse than not enough.

I went home full of the joys of spring but suddenly realised just how much stuff I'd squirrelled away under benches, on shelves, behind cupboards and anywhere it would fit. It took me almost two weeks, working flat out, to build new benches and shelving units, shift the workshop and set up anew. Okay, everything was in the new place but I couldn't find a thing... All the while I was working at home I knew where everything was (okay that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but I could find most stuff). Suddenly, I had no idea where to look. There was stuff everywhere.

The problem is simple, I'm a hoarder of leather related stuff and collector of old leather working machinery. I have boxes that were packed almost twenty years ago and have never been opened since. My stock of leather has been growing since the early 1970s. Mostly, I'm too busy to sort it all out.

I wished I'd had a plan. Oh boy, did I ever wish I had a plan!

Now, 7 months on, I'm almost sure where most stuff is, but earlier this week I decided to tear everything apart again, restructure the work areas and rebuild it all again. It was a monumental task but today I'm finally reasonably happy with the result.

Some lessons I learned:

• Label boxes as you pack them - trust me, it is essential!
  • Know how you are going to heat (or cool) your new workspace before you move.
  • Don't rely on anyone to help you move.
  • Make sure you have three times as much money in your pocket than you think you might need to make the move.
  • Get insurance before moving machinery (my machine movers dropped my clicking press from a Hi-Ab).
  • Measure the space before you start and make a detailed plan of where everything is going to go. It speeds things up a lot.
  • Get rid of junk you don't need rather than move it!

There is more - much more - but it was worth all the hassle. I have attached some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.

Would I do it again? Definitely!

Now, does anyone know where I put my sandwiches?

Ray

post-6314-0-07135100-1437148176_thumb.jp

post-6314-0-15567900-1437148209_thumb.jp

post-6314-0-30031700-1437148230_thumb.jp

post-6314-0-11880900-1437148248_thumb.jp

post-6314-0-94981500-1437148265_thumb.jp

post-6314-0-12539500-1437148590_thumb.jp

Good grief, is there anything you DON'T have? I wouldn't know where to start working in there, lol. Congrats on the move Ray. Cheryl

This is a very nice unit you occupied, and neatly arranged. I am sure your work there will be very rewarding both emotionally and in terms of income.

Totally agree on labeling all boxes! On all 6 sides!

when moving my house labelling saved us a few headaches. I would check what the price would be a year from now, since the space is so large.

Edited by DavidL

I am moving workshop at the moment. I never new I had so much stuff. I don't want to count how much money I have in leather I counted 40 saddle butts They cost around £140 each. Then I have my panel leather Lets say I know why I don't have my new boat.