natenaaron

I Know Nothing

Ok I know I have a few ideas and they involve leather. While playing around making a simple notebook cover I got some ideas for other notebooks. The piece of leather I was using was not the best. Then I discovered Saddle Soap. When I put it on all the imperfections popped out and I liked it. That when I got the idea to make some journals and notebook covers out of leather with blemishes.

I found some tools for decorating but have decided my first leather projects will have natural blemishes as the decoration and sprayed on graffiti stencils. Not original but I'll have fun doing it.

Here is my problem; how do I buy those types of leather?

PS is there an introduce yourself location here?

Just tell your leather supplier you want the lesser quality leather with brands, scars, blemishes etc. They will be happy to hear from you. lol

Tandy Leather Company. They are known for crappy leather. You will find what you need there.

Most leather buyers are looking for fewer bug bites, stretch marks, scars, etc., so finding it will take searching. The best way to find this is to go to your local leather supplier and ask when they will be putting out new stock. Most leather orders will include a mix of nicer and less nice pieces, and this gives you a chance to pick through them. I recently found a side of leather that had been branded about seven times with the same brand. The guy on the ranch must have still been in training... or just a jerk. Anyhow talk to your leather supplier and ask. You want a good quality leather that just has cosmetic defects.