So, building some slings.

Wickett and Craig medium brown bridle, 8-10oz, sliced into a 1" strap and a 2 1/2" strap. Just gotta work out the measurements and hardware placements... And decide on a liner yay/neh and we are ready to rock and roll.

Iffy on the liner idea. Every leather sling I've owned lifted at the ends, which just kind of looks shabby.. In two minds, the ends of slings must be 1" to accommodate the swivels so it's a big taper.. Hrmm. Spending the night staring at it waiting for inspiration to hit!

Pro: decorative stitching bonus, looks great

Con: ending edges always seem to lift as you can't burnish then into the outer layer, suede and nubuck doesn't burnish very well and tends to be lower level leather splits, tends to be a failure point, grippy leather is difficult to get clean.

A waxed nubuck maybe? Smooth leathers look the nicest but could potentially be a bit slippery on steep inclines.

"Whip" stitch the liner to the main body?

various_types_of_lacing.jpg

For me, . . . inspiration on that is simple: I've used a 1 inch wide sling since the late 60's and it has done me well so far.

May God bless,

Dwight

I've made those "cobra" things ... probably because some customer saw them in a tandy catalog ;) Some people want them lined with suede leathers. Not that it makes sense to me, but whatever.. I do it :dunno:

Stitch within 1/8" of the edge, no worries. OR, you might consider a 1" strap the full length, and then just add a 'pad" from teh same leather --- say like 2 1/2" wide x 9 or 10", and just line and stitch the pad (only).

On ‎2015‎-‎08‎-‎15 at 5:39 AM, Dwight said:

For me, . . . inspiration on that is simple: I've used a 1 inch wide sling since the late 60's and it has done me well so far.

May God bless,

Dwight

What weight leather are you using on your one inch sling?

2 hours ago, Bigfoote said:

What weight leather are you using on your one inch sling?

That particular sling, . . . I did not make, . . . and it is a military type with the brass keepers and all the holes up and down it.

The mike says it is .130 thick, . . . which is just a GOOD 8 oz.  

Still good, still works, . . . I use it mostly with my lever action Marlin 39A Mountie, . . . it's a .22 lever action.

I also had it on my lever action Savage 99, . . .  it was a .308 rifle.

May God bless,

Dwight

I've only made a few slings, and used some 2-3oz as a liner. I maybe shouldn't have used it on the 1" swivel straps, mostly because it tends to bunch up where the strap bends. Going to only line the widest part of the strap now.

5 hours ago, Dwight said:

That particular sling, . . . I did not make, . . . and it is a military type with the brass keepers and all the holes up and down it.

The mike says it is .130 thick, . . . which is just a GOOD 8 oz.  

Still good, still works, . . . I use it mostly with my lever action Marlin 39A Mountie, . . . it's a .22 lever action.

I also had it on my lever action Savage 99, . . .  it was a .308 rifle.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight,  that is the information I was looking for.