GPaudler

Adler 105-27 Variant

Hello,

Thanks, everybody, for so much useful information. I recently lost my mind and bought an Adler 105-27 and am curious about what the 27 sub-designation means. I have searched fairly thoroughly and can't find a reference on the web, including on Adler's parts blog or in the old 105 manual.

I'm not familiar enough with the 105s to discern any unusual features.

Thanks for any information you might have on the -27 or 105s in general.

Gary

Without seeing pictures of your 105-27 I have to guess its similar to the 105-27 that Nick-o-sew was selling on eBay some time ago. Their machine looked just like a 105-25 but had a little flatbed attachment and an elaborate bobbin winder contraption that ran off the hand wheel.

It was not unusual for a time for a high-volume-buyer to request a custom version of a machine to suit their specific manufacturing needs.

Help solve the mystery by looking at the Adler brochure of the regular 105 machines and subclasses ( http://www.duerkopp-adler.com/commons/download/download-text-attachments/Vintage_Leaflets_Adler/Leaflets_Adler_class_105.pdf ) and then take a few photos of yours that highlight what's different with your machine. If you post the pictures here we'll have a record of it for future inquiring minds and the ever hungry search engines.

The only real 105-27 documentation reference I came across is a 2-page parts list sold by Proleptic for $2 (http://proleptic.net/shop/adler/adler-105-27/).

Here's a picture of the machine Nick-o-sew was selling:post-56402-0-08794200-1439751585_thumb.j

Thanks Uwe, that IS a photo of my machine - that very one that I bought from Nickosew who, I must say, conducted an excellent transaction.

I'll take your suggestion and compare foot lift, stitch length, etc, to the specs for the other variants and post here for reference.

I see that you have a Pfaff 335 - me too, I love that machine. I'm not really sure why I bought the Adler, except that I like the idea of long stitches with big thread.

Gary

The 105-27 looks like a 105-8. Maybe it has some special features the 105-8 has not. I once have have removed the "walking foot" mechanism on a 105-8 because it was too nosy. I installed a regular straigt presser foot bar. Advantage is he now can use Singer 45K clone feet. Do you know your machine has this "wallking foot thing" mechanism and how it works? You can "turn it on" by removing a single screw. Well, it´s not a real walking foot but the foot moves with the material and flips back then.

This machine has a 7mm maximum stitch length and 12mm foot lift, same as the other 105 variants.

The -27 designation does seem to comprise the bolt-on mini table and burly thread winder, as Uwe described.

It does have the pseudo walking foot action that Constabulary mentioned.

I only bought the head and will build a pedestal for it with a servo motor. I'm really looking forward to using this machine. Thanks for your help.

I never heard about a Adler 105-27. The machine on the picture looks as Constabulary says a subclass 8. The founder, class 5 had a subclass -27 who is exactly the same machine as the 105-8. It has a jump foot and bottom feed. I still have one in my storage, good machine. The machine on the picture has a bobbin winder from the class 5 (with a missing rubber ring). The 105-25 has a driven feeding foot, propelled by the hand wheel. And therfore a different hand wheel than the -8. Perhaps this is a machine put together with parts from a class 5-27 and a 105-8. When it's a custom built machine they can call it what they want too, at least some dealers think they are allowed too. Are there any more 105-27 that this one on Uwes picture? As for the manuals for sale, you never know what's in them before you buy it. Just punch in another "fantasy" machine in your Google search, I bet you find someone who is willing to sell you an manual for it :)

Tor

Thanks Tor. The machine has an official-looking brass plate, in the usual location, stamped "105-27". As you suggest, anybody could have put that there. For now, the machine is under my work bench while I finish an urgent project and resist the impulse to build a stand and power it up. I did already buy a new servo motor for it. When I get it running, I'll post a report with photos.

Gary

Well, I don't really. It is possible to change these subclass plates, they have small screws. But why bother? I have had, used and studied these class 5´s and 105 for many years now. Just when I thought I knew every thing about these machines, there turning up an new unknown model. I just point out the fact that the class 5-27 is exactly the same machine as the 105-8, and this look like an 105-8 and have the subclass number from its forerunner.

Sometimes the sewing machine companies does custom orders on special machines, these are not well documented (if at all). However, what is so special with this machine that it had to be a custom/special machine order. Could they not do with an 105-8. To know the answer to this question we need to see your machine, and what's on the top of the head on this one (out of the picture)

You could also ask Thomas Brinkhoff, head of the sparepart business Durkopp Adler AG. And the author of this blog http://sew24.blogspot.no/p/downloads.html

You will also find what's available of documents on these old classes there.

This could also be an early discontinued model, made before they decided the subclass names of the 105 class. That would explain why they used the old subclass name "-27" for this feed type.

About the spring loaded jump foot, that is made for leather work. This makes it possible to sew with very light foot pressure and again less markings made by the feed dog. It follows the material backward and jump forwards again for the next stitch . that's an improvement over a regular bottom feed only. I have sewn 15 mm thick leather with heavy thread on my old 5-27, with a minimum of marking from the feed dog. I do not remembering it skipped a stitch and it's still in mint condition. I keep it as an backup, I do not want to sell it for small money. It has a complete Saddlers attachment pack (plates, feets and apparatus)

By the way: the class 5-8 and 5-27 was exactly the same machine, the only different was a elevated flat needle plate with matching feed dog on the -27. The answer might be related to this, because subclass numbers alway have a meaning and are used on other classes too.

Post some pics of your machine here and perhaps we can solve this mystery.

Thanks

Tor

After spending an hour here and an hour there for these past months I finally finished the stand for the Adler 105-27. All the materials were left-overs from past projects except for the casters, the motor and the PowerTwist V-belt. I didn't want to modify the machine in any way so I turned a bolt from hex stock that tightens the bobbin winder arm and serves as the pivot for the reduction drive swing arm. I turned the 2" V pulley from aluminum bar and pressed it onto the die-cast V pulley that was salvaged from something long-ago. I bored the pulley assembly for ubiquitous, cheap and reliable skate bearings. It's a total reduction of about 6:1 that, with the servo motor on its slowest setting, gives single-stitch controllability in 1/2" of leather or webbing with 346 thread in a #26 needle. It makes a satisfying ka-chunk sound with every stitch.

The fourth photo shows the foot lifter arm that came with the machine. A few other parts were pretty rusty so I duplicated them in stainless. The rest of the machine polished-up pretty nicely and I'm very pleased with how well it sews.

Could somebody please tell me what the thumb screw with lock lever on the left, top, front of the head does? (most evident in photo 6, upper right).

Adler1.jpg

Adler 2.jpg

Adler 3.jpg

Adler 4.jpg

Adler 5.jpg

Adler 6.jpg

LOVE that stand!!!

If I remember correctly (haven't worked with one lately) the screw and lock lever is for adjusting the foot lift light hight while operating. Just test it. Makes a lot of noise this type of machine. At least the Adler 4 / 5 with this mechanism did. I once removed the entire mechanism fro a friend machine and installed a regular presser foot. Advantage: He can use the easier to find Singer 45K feet and it is less noisy. Downside: He no longer has the top feed.

18 hours ago, Uwe said:

LOVE that stand!!!

Thanks Constabulary, that makes sense, I probably fiddled with it with the presser foot in the up position so didn't detect any change.

Thanks Uve, I've really enjoyed all the Adler stuff you've posted.

I have a 205-25 here that has the same feed mechanism.

The bottom feed is set with the standard lever at the right but the top feed is set independently with the mechanism at the left. This allows differential feed.

Hi GPaudler, that plate was not lying; this is exactly the same machine as the older Cl. 5-27 a proper 105-27. And what a nice looking set up you have there, very nice stand!

Darren, what difference this from a class -25 is the spring loaded jump foot, the -25 has a driven upper foot. This foot only follows the material backwards and jump forward again caused by the springs action (no feeding action). This is still a bottom feed only, but the jump foot will allow sewing with much lower foot pressure; then again less markings on bottom side leather. Adler made this system for sewing leather, who invented it I do not know.

Anyway, it's forerunner cl. 5-27 was a leather machine for saddlers and the best lockstitch for the job at the time of manufacturing. I cannot find any record of the 105-27 anywhere. But I'm used to surprises from the Adler company, they made a lot of special machines there are no record of anymore (available online anyway)

I've used my old 5-27 for many years before I upgraded to a 441, I've sewed 16 mm. thick leather on it. I have all the saddlers attachments for it, my good old backup machine is still in mint condition. 

About adjusting the jump foot: the screw you are asking about (front face side of the head) is for adjusting the jump foot hight. You have to adjust is just as high as it clears the material on its way back. You will here it clicks back in forward position. Adjusted to low it will not return forwards again. To high does not really matters, but then it will lift unnecessarily high; it's to much mechanical work for the machine that slowing it down. Adjust it just high enough to clear the material and lock it in place with the locking lever (one armed wing nut) inside the screw.  There are a short description in the user manual for the Adler class 4 and 5. It's also a description of the different attachments and sewing techniques of these machines, machines with the "mitgehende näfuss" spring loaded jumpfoot. (I do not have the proper characters on my tablet to write it correct in German). We have posted this (German) manual here before and I belive that Constabulary saved all the files I posted in to one pdf. (I have it in 23 pdf files, each containing one page of the manual) Or do I remember wrongly? If so I will post them again.

Very nice work with you stand, I love it! If your shuttle tension does not tension thin threads anymore, then your bobbin thread spring is worn out. They usually do after some time. There are no Springs available for this open type shuttle. However, you can change it for the newer closed type shuttle of same size. (Use the one for the Adler and not the Singer 45, they have different hook tips but look very simmilar) DA part # 0005 002904 is the new small shuttle (for this you can buy separate bobbin springs and screws for too, your old open type shuttle is not supported anymore) I know this will be of importance for you in the future, if it's not already. You can also buy this (#0005 002904) shuttle from Japanese Hirose or Italian Ceralini. Cowboy sewing machine (Hightex) in China also have it available. Good luck with your beautiful machine.

PS. Here is a pic of the old closed shuttle #05 195  for the Adler cl. 4 and 5. It looks like this shuttle is in your machine now, cannot be sure before you take a better picture, thought.

Tor 

20151027_235421-1.jpg

Wow Tor and Darren! Thanks for all the great information. So far, I'm able to achieve the correct bobbin tension but I've only used 277 and 346 thread. I'll search for the  class 5 manual.

Gary

"PS. Here is a pic of the old closed shuttle #05 195  for the Adler cl. 4 and 5. It looks like this shuttle is in your machine now, cannot be sure before you take a better picture, though."

Hi Tor,

Here's the photo for which you asked. What years did Adler make the 105?

Thanks for all your insights.

Oh yeah, I've searched for the Adler Class 4&5 manual that you mentioned but haven't found it. Could you please direct me to that? I'd love to see the saddlers' attachments that you spoke-of.

Adler Shuttle

Edited by GPaudler

Hi, I cannot see the picture of the shuttle. The manual are in German. I can send you the 23 pdf´s, you can print them out on paper. Send me your email in an PM (better not show it here to avoid spammers) Here is the saddlers attachment pack for Adler class 5. It's pretty much the same as the one for the Singer 45K.  The feed dog for the flat plate is on the machine. You have different guides, binder, knife and many different presser feets. A double harness guide and some bits and screws. (the little shuttle, left in pic # 2 do not belong to this machine. In fact I do not know where it belongs, came with the machine when I bought it several years ago) Send me your email address and I will give you the pdf ´s.

Tor

msg-10237-0-70924600-1377808907.jpg

msg-10237-0-92978400-1377808917-1.jpg

20160506_234903-2.jpg

Hi Trox,

That's quite a treasure trove of Adler parts. My local Adler dealer tells me that a single presser foot costs about $300. I have purchased zero of them. Here's the photo of the shuttle that I failed to attach last time. It also happens to show a presser foot that I made.

DSC02298.jpeg

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and just started another discussion thread titled Adler 105 

I have a query related to identifying the model and capability of a similar Adler 105 to the ones discussed here and have posted a few pictures of the machine. 

If anyone is able to help me out please take a look as it seems as though some of you know a bit about Adlers.

Thanks,

JBY

On Friday, May 06, 2016 at 0:50 AM, GPaudler said:

Hi Trox,

That's quite a treasure trove of Adler parts. My local Adler dealer tells me that a single presser foot costs about $300. I have purchased zero of them. Here's the photo of the shuttle that I failed to attach last time. It also happens to show a presser foot that I made.

Hi, yes that's a old open type class 4/5 shuttle. That also came in the first 105 Machines. There is one (new)f or sale on Ebay right now, 159 US$. I think that foot you made look very nice. It's an easy machine to make presser foot for.

Tor