gndy

Apply To Leather School Or Learn By Yourself

Hello Leatherworkers ,

If you have the chance to learn leather working in an Italian School would you go or save the money to get leather and tools or learn by yourself ?

in the last few years access to knowledge haven't been easier , with all the YouTube channels , articles and forums ! is still worth it to go to school or not ?

or the benefit for school is branding yourself " the craftsman who learnt in Italy" which will make you charge more money for your products , help you be more credible for quality and materials and getting recognized more easily and networking

What do you think ?

PS: i am from Egypt and couldn't get my hand on the tandy leather products , dyes and finishes , but we - me and my partner - managed to learn by ourselves , we learnt hand stitching also bought an industrial sewing machine (dual feed) , we went to tannieries and learnt about leather in Egypt and how to dye using products in the markets , we converted my sleeping room to a small workshop , all by ourselves , we made finishes from local waxes , we went to make our own burnshing tools and skiving knives etc

Going to school (1 - 2 year course) would require thousands of dollars, similar to a 2 year college course plus housing.

If you have the money and more importantly the time for training it would be worth it only if you decide to start a business where you sell leather goods.

I have a copy of manual number 4 from theleatherconnection.com and it is very in-depth, written by a english leather working teacher in England (he also will provide online help) . His past clients are very impressive, including royalty and large brands. These manuals I believe will cover 90 percent of the craft, where 10 percent of it needs to be taught in person (critiquing your techniques) or where you personally need to analyze the way you cut, stitch, skive, put together pieces. The seller of the manuals is older, so theres no guarantee if the manual will be available 5-10 years from now.

I run a saddlery school in the UK and I am a professional award winning saddle maker . I am not answering this to tout for work only to advice.

I would say if you have a chance to go to a good school you will learn a lot faster and more techniques than you will learn on youtube.

I have looked at many youtube videos and think they are great for the person who wants to start out and can be of use to a professional on some jobs he may have not done before. However the professional will look at the videos and mix that input with his already gained knowledge.

If you are after a nice hobby that will make you some pocket money to start of with learn from youtube . If you want to make this a full time job then go on a course.

I have taught many people all over the world and most have already been doing leather work in one way or another. After a few days on a course they will start to tire not because of the work but because of the amount of information they get.

A difference between a hobbyist and a professional can be seen by watching a you tube video showing someone bevelling the edges and looking at the E Jeffries video about 2 minuets into their video

Thats very informative , lets keep the discussion rolling .

may i add that there is a question that should be asked , What do you want to do in leather school .

if i added that we are aiming to produce modern leather products like " this is ground" "bellroy" "convoygoods" will it really differ going to school since all are nearly produced using machinery " die cuts, skiving machine , sewing machines etc" , no carving to swivel knife patterns and drawings no saddlery etc

A difference between a hobbyist and a professional can be seen by watching a you tube video showing someone bevelling the edges and looking at the E Jeffries video about 2 minuets into their video

I am watching the video

and can see the difference :D

You have to make sure you go to the right school That has clicker presses skiving machines etc learn how to make your wallets etc.

When you have gained a bit of knowledge start to contact factory's that make the types of products you are planning to make and ask for a look round. Lots of factory's will be happy to show you round their premises if you are a student or prospective buyer. You will be amazed at how much knowledge you will pick up by doing that.

Instead of doing a full time course look at short courses. Go for a week or two then go home and practice what you learned in your own time then go do another course to fix any problems you may have. Do that a few times might work for you.

Another suggestion I have for you: If going to a full time course as an over seas student costs silly money then compare that cost to employing someone in your own country to show you how to do it.

My leathercraft side of teaching is aimed at the type of leatherworker who wants a good hobby or to earn some cash doing one of items. My saddlery side is aimed at hobbyists and people who want to open large factories. So no good for what you are after.

I only say that so you will realises my advice is genuine. If you send me a link to the type of course you are planning to go on I can tell you if I think it meets your needs.

I just purchased manual number 1 and number 2 from theleatherconnection.com and it has enough information for 1 - 2 years worth of solid work (10 hours a week). Even then I believe in the 10,000 hour theory where you still have to put in the hours, the manuals get you in the door.

There is a strong chance there is more information in both manuals than you would learn in person (fundamentals). It would make sense to buy manual 1-2 then take a 2 month course to learn hands on. To me personally I work better when I can work things out myself through trial and error then the hands on schooling can be absorbed from a deeper understanding.

The manuals are written exactly like a university textbook.

Which ever way you decide to go I wish you well.

G'day,

Everything I know about leather is all self taught. Unfortunately, there are no places around here ( Central Wheatbelt , Western Australia) for me to go to if I get stuck or want to learn something different to what I already do.

There are places in the eastern states, but some classes are expensive, + travel costs.

There is no-one to teach me how make or repair saddles. So, like everything else , I will just have to figure it out by myself.

But some 'hands on instruction' would be a great help though.

I can do some repairs on saddles....now , but I still have so much to learn .

The internet has been a great learning tool with various 'How to...' videos and tutorials etc.

This very web site has also been great. Its helped me on many occasions.

Now, I am more than happy to pass on what I've taught myself over the years to others ., even if my technique is 'not the norm' or totally different to someone elses technique. Its the end result that matters.

Best Wishes for the future.

HS

They have leather schools???

NOW they tell me.

If you are doing English style saddles I have some old videos on YouTube that might help just type in uksaddlery.

I hope to do better videos soon going into a lot more detail . I will sell them through my website

I think i will buy the PDF's DavidL recommended , the school i found in Italy for bag making will cost 5000 euros per course and some 2000 euros for rentals and my expenses !

with that amount of money i can buy 1000 ft of leather , rent a workshop , buy 2 sewing machines , skiving machine , die cutting press in Egypt ! and i will have some money to spare :D

it's really tough decision when the school or courses aren't in your Country , need a lot of thinking and money to save before i can decide