Sign in to follow this  
Bohikeman

Sewing Machine Needed

Hi, my name is Louie, two years ago I became a Paraplegic, so I'm wheelchair bound. I used to be a surgical nurse, my wife, who used to be a nurse also, had to quit her job to take care of me. I've done a few little things in leather, as a hobby. Now I would like to make little shop in my garage, so that I can do leather work. I just finished my first holster, but for some reason I can't post pictures. I would like to get a sewing machine , but financially, I can't. I was wondering if anyone knows of any charity that could help me, I've seen a few machines in the Goodwill stores, but I don't know if they can sew leather. Are there any kind that can sew fabric & leather? Also, I want to know which is the right leather for holsters? I know it goes by ounces, but I don't know which one is good for what. Thanks for any help. Louie.

What type of leather are you planning to use in the machine? You mentioned holsters. To stitch the holsters, you will need a heavy duty machine. Certainly not a household machine you can find at Goodwill store, even if it was cast iron. The members here will correct me if I am wrong: from what I know holsters can be made on Union Lockstitch or at least Juki 441 clones.

You will not find a machine in any bargain stores that can sew any leather thicker than chaps, if even that.

Holsters are usually built of two or more layers of leather that is over 1/8 inch (8 ounces) per piece. Better holsters reach 3/16" (12 ounces) per side. Western holsters often have a filler rib along the outside to position the revolver. This adds up to another 1/4" (16 ounces) of thickness. Packages like these need very strong thread, typically #277 (1/2 mm diameter), which requires a #25 leather point needle.

Here is a typical heavy leather sewing machine that is used to produce holsters such as I described.

Are you familiar with kickstarter or gofundme campaigns on social media? I believe you could offer up leather goods for pledges to goto the purchase of a new machine using social media like Facebook.