Please help! I'm making a tooled leather journal. I'll be dying the tooled areas with Fiebings British Tan spirit dye, and the rest I'm dying with Fiebings medium brown spirit dye.

I'd like the tooled letters to stand out more (since the British Tan is a nice reddish color, but the letters don't stand out as noticeable as I'd like). I've read SO much about Fiebings Hi Liter and antique finish, but nothing tells me whether I can effectively use them in conjunction with a spirit-based dye of a different color. For example, if I wanted to have the same "hi-lited" effect with a green spirit dye in a future project. Would either the Hi Liter or Antique Finish work for what I need?

I REALLY appreciate your help- I'm only 3 weeks away from deadline (I'm making this journal to raise money in a fundraiser event).

Thanks in advance.

I'm am confused what you are asking. Could you please rephrase or better explain what you want to accomplish? I have not used the products you are referencing, so I might not have answers regardless. Perhaps clarification can help others better answer your questions.

I use spirit dyes to get my base colors, then apply a couple light coats of clear/resist to protect the color. Then I add water based antique to highlight all the tooling marks. Once it's dried, I put on a seal coat of clear. Works great for me. If you don't put resist/clear overy the dye the antique will change the overall color(almost always makes it darker)

I do the same thing when I paint my tooling with acrylic colors. The antique just settles in the tooling marks, and wipes away from top highlighting all the tooling and making the colors look more artistic and less monotone.

Edited by Colt W Knight