panchoskywalker

How To Back A Watch Strap With Fabric For Allergic People?

Hello, I've been asked to backed a leather watch strap with fabric for allergic reasons. I have never done this, is there a way to do it? Is there a special fabric for this? Does using a piece of jeans is a good idea?

Denim will work fine, just glue to leather.

Why not just some natural vegetable tanned leather? That causes allergic reactions with very few people - if any. The dyes in fabric may just as well cause an allergic reaction.

Why not just some natural vegetable tanned leather? That causes allergic reactions with very few people - if any. The dyes in fabric may just as well cause an allergic reaction.

Well haven't though about it really but I've been asked by a client to add a liner. Thank you.

Denim will work fine, just glue to leather.

Would you add stitch as well?

I would add stitch if the customer wanted stitch

I would add stitch if the customer wanted stitch

Which glue do you use that make you feel so confident? I use tear mender but I always add stitch.

I've used Tandy eco Flo and barge, I've even used elders spay adhesive

If someone is allergic to leather or leather finishes, might it be better for them to use some other material for their wrist bands to avoid the problem?

CD in Oklahoma

It might not be leather or the finish that they are allergic to. I'm allergic to nickel so everything from belt buckles to my wedding ring (white tungsten contains nickel) will make me break out....with enough contact that is. Snaps are usually nickel plated so they are a concern for me. Most metals will have a certain nickel content which eventually will cause issues to those with this allergy. Anything that covers the metal will work. Paint/sealer will be temporary. A liner is preferred. Whether it's just glued on or glue + stitch is up to you. Personally, I'd stitch it.

Not quite sure about this. It is 4.8mm thick. What am I making wrong? There's a piece of leather inside the fabric.

2s64x00.jpg

Edited by panchoskywalker

I finally did it with 1 layer of fabric, I wonder how to avoid loose threads. Any idea?

fekz1x.jpg