keplerts

Weaver Quick Change Edger

Has anyone tried the new "Quick Change Edger" from Jeremiah Watt that Weaver Leather Sells? I ordered one this week and am very pleased with it. For the price of $8.95 you get a plastic handle and two blades. Both blades were completely sharp and ready to use. They worked great. I'm wondering what kind of different attachments for the handle they will develop in the future?

Anyone looking for a good usable edger won't go wrong by using one of these.

Thanks for the good review on this new tool! It took a long time for us to get this out there as we wanted to make sure it was exactly what Weaver and Jeremiah Watt wanted. We are in the process of developing additional attachments. In the works right now are French Edgers, Bissonnette Edgers, stitch groover, and stitch markers. The target date for these is with the launch of our next new wholesale catalog which is April 2016.

Thanks for the good review on this new tool! It took a long time for us to get this out there as we wanted to make sure it was exactly what Weaver and Jeremiah Watt wanted. We are in the process of developing additional attachments. In the works right now are French Edgers, Bissonnette Edgers, stitch groover, and stitch markers. The target date for these is with the launch of our next new wholesale catalog which is April 2016.

I have a question for you. Are you chargeing shipping by the weight of the order ? Or you still doing the 1.00 to 100.00 shipping is so much ? I quit buying from Weaver after 20 years of doing business with Weaver after i was charged 15.00 shipping for a package that weighted less than a pound. I send things all over the US and part of the world so i know how it much cost to mail things and i also know that companies that ship a lot get price breaks form UPS, Fed X and more than likely the post office. If you have went back to what the package weighs i'll come back, if not i'll keep buying from other places.

I purchased the quick change edgers in 0 and 1 after watching Jeremiah demonstrate them at the auction. My intention was to keep them in a drawer in my shop for those times when misplace one of my weaver or king edgers. Now I seem to grab the watt quick changer more often because it cuts just as well at my others.

Dirtcloud, the shipping system definitely does not work in favor of lightweight or small items. The shipping prices work out okay when purchasing hardware or leather in quantity compared to other companies. I've been in the same boat only needing something small and was put off by the shipping, so I went ahead and purchased some other hardware that I would be using later on to justify the shipping price. They offer free shipping on orders over $50 on the retail version of the site, which might work out better for you depending on the price difference.

I guess you have to treat the shipping prices as if the nearest grocery store was 30 miles from your house. You wouldn't drive 30 miles to the store only to pick up a bag of chips, you would pick up other items you need to justify the time and fuel you used to get there.

Chrstn.. i WAS a wholesale customer for 20 years and it really makes me mad to get ripped off on shipping !! If i buy a bunch of hardware i expect to pay more for shipping. But when i order a few edgers that weigh less then a pound 15.00 shipping is a rip off plain and simple !! That order could of been sent in a Priority Mail box for 6.00 even if they added a 1.00 for their people to package it i wouldn't of said anything. But 15.00 is a rip off !! The last order i made with Weaver was around 2 years ago now and unless they have something that i can't find any where else i won't buy from them till they change back to weight = shipping, not price = shipping. It's just like the sellers on Ebay where you can buy a item for a 1.00 but they want 99.00 to send it.

We are still shipping under the flat rate program. However, we are considering a new freight program for Supply next year. There are several possibilities in discussion, but no firm changes yet. Sorry we lost you as a customer dirtclod, I never like hearing that.

Edited by Weaver Leather Supply

Chrstn.. i WAS a wholesale customer for 20 years and it really makes me mad to get ripped off on shipping !! If i buy a bunch of hardware i expect to pay more for shipping. But when i order a few edgers that weigh less then a pound 15.00 shipping is a rip off plain and simple !! That order could of been sent in a Priority Mail box for 6.00 even if they added a 1.00 for their people to package it i wouldn't of said anything. But 15.00 is a rip off !! The last order i made with Weaver was around 2 years ago now and unless they have something that i can't find any where else i won't buy from them till they change back to weight = shipping, not price = shipping. It's just like the sellers on Ebay where you can buy a item for a 1.00 but they want 99.00 to send it.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I do not patronize companies that play this game.

Under 13 ounces can ship first class mail for about $3 to $5...I've had some vendors send it 1st class (while the postage amount wasn't printed on the label, I ship my items first class, so I know EXACTLY what it costs to do that) and even though they only paid around $3 in postage, I get charged $15...that's not "handling"...that's just a big, fat rip-off and I won't participate in that.

Another thing that makes me angry is charging more for shipping based on the dollar amount of the order. That's just completely wrong on many levels and if I'm forced to buy from a company that does that, I will make sure I buy as few things as possible from them and then buy the bulk of my supplies from sellers that DON'T do that. Pricing shipping based on the price of the order is a REALLY good way to make people not want to spend any money buying from you. :)

I get a lot of things shipped to me and do a lot of shipping. While I'm always paying attention to shipping costs, I do also realize that the labour and materials to ship a $30 order is virtually the same as to ship a $300 order. The time to do the packaging, to create the invoice, process payment, make the shipping documents and cost of shipping materials are close to the same. So I do cut some slack to companies when I buy small amounts. With Weaver Leather, I simply purchase larger orders and then their rates are good.

We are still shipping under the flat rate program. However, we are considering a new freight program for Supply next year. There are several possibilities in discussion, but no firm changes yet. Sorry we lost you as a customer dirtclod, I never like hearing that.

I don't buy thousands of dollars of supplies at a time like some (heck maybe a lot) of your customers do. I am a small one man one dog shop that cares about each and every customer i have and i do my best make sure they come back and buy more items plus tell their friends that they will get get a nice product and not get ripped off on the product or shipping. If i sell more than one item i guestamate the shipping and return the extra money. I do that that because a lot of the time becuase i'm not sure what the weight will be.

Several years ago i tried to buy a few sides from a tannery and was told they wouldn't sell me less than 5 sides at a time. I told them i couldn't buy five sides at a time but that over a year i would buy 40 to 50 sides. They told me real that they only wanted the bigger customers. My answer to them was theirs a lot more small customers than their are big customers and if 100 small customers went out of business they might feel it a little but if a 100 of the bigger customers went broke they were going to be hurting. They laughed at me and hung up the phone. A couple of years later they were out of business.

My point is their are a lot more small customers than their are big ones and if the small customers have to keep paying HIGH shipping for a low weight package their going to do just like me and take their business someplace else. Yes i know i can take all of the shipping off my taxes at the end of the year but i still have all that money tied up that i could be using to buy something else from Weaver or another company.

I don't need a box that says WEAVER LEATHER on it, get a cheaper box and slap a WEAVER LEATHER sticker on it. I'm guessing that would be cheaper than paying for it to be printed on the box. It seems the crazy shipping didn't start till Weaver was bought into or bought by the other company i'm not real sure how that went down. My guess is and i maybe a 100% wrong on this. But my thinking the other company big shots though hey were leaveing X amount of dollars on the table and if we do Flat Rate Shipping we can make X amount of basicly free dollars a year on shipping.

I bought a lot my leather and supplies from Mast Harness till Weaver bought them out. Siegel Leather paid the shipping if your order was over 75.00. 1 side or 20 sides or several boxes of hardware it didn't matter and they got a lot of money over a year just because of that.

I will come back to Weaver if they get off of their high horse on the shipping. make a post on here letting folks know and i'll come back.

Oh the funny thing is when i got that 15.00 shipping, i called and complained and it suddeny went down to a one time adjustment of 7.50 for shipping. If it had of been 7.50 to start with i still be buying from Weaver. I'm not dumb enough to think that the 1000.00 2000.00 dollars a year i spent with Weaver, made or will make any difference in Weavers bottom line but if enough of the small 1000.00 2000.00 a year customers bow their backs up IT WILL affect the bottome line !!

Edited by dirtclod