zachhbc

Finishing Inner-Sheath - What's Your Preference?

I've been browsing the forum (and am fairly new to the forum) for techniques that people like to use in finishing the inside (raw leather) of their sheaths.

I have tried the paraffin/beeswax concoction in dipping a sheath to seal it all over(haven't tried applying only to the inner w/ a dauber) - but didn't like the shiny finish

I've tried trag gum - but have ended up with some hairy spots that refuse to go away

& Lately I've been using Ballistol, as recommended by Rowe's Leather, whom has made some nice sheaths for myself and my father in the past - but it turns my saddle tan to a dark brown from inside out!

I want to get a smooth finish on these sheaths, and can't decide whether I will go un-dyed or raw, pending my next attempt at finishing the inside.

What do you guys use?

And I apologize if this thread already exists - If so, please link me!

Look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

I don't do much to the inside of my sheaths apart from removing any stray fibres before I sew it together

Then I treat the whole sheath, inside and out with leather oil or grease. I use an old toothbrush to apply the oil to the inside

I reckon the action of using the knife, putting it in & out, will form and polish the inside where it needs it

You might like this website; they have a forum on sheaths & leatherwork http://www.britishblades.com

Edited by zuludog

I use resolene and water 50/50 mix inside and out. 3 light coats. not too shiny and everything is nice and smooth on the inside. This is recommended by many others on the site and I'm happy with the results on my stuff.