Uwe

Video: Sewing Veg Tan Leather On A Consew 225

Somebody asked me if the Consew 225 will sew 6mm (15oz) of hard veg tan leather. I doubted it somewhat but hadn't actually tried. So I installed a 3:1 speed reducer to kick up the torque and punching power and gave it a whirl.

It actually did okay with 6mm using size 207 bonded polyester thread top and bobbin, and a size 22 regular point needle (I know, I know - it's not ideal, but it was the largest needle I had on hand). It even fought it's way through 9mm (25oz) of veg tan leather, but that's really abusing the machine in my mind.

I tried it out so you don't have to. I would normally reach for my Adler 205 to sew material this thick or hard.

Here's the video:

And that's the difference between a correct, precise hook setting, and an average one. If people say you just have to be close, try doing that same thing with the hook too far away from the needle and not having the needle guard adjusted correctly. The proof is in the pudding so to speak. Well done!

Regards, Eric

Pretty impressive, particularly the 9mm. Shows what you can do if you have lots of torque. I suspect that using a "standard" needle may have helped, as it probably slid through the leather a bit easier.