Hi fellow leather-workers,

I’m new to leather working and trying to figure out the best ‘order’ to do things in. Bellow is a list of steps I typically take during leather working – I would love some feedback on what you think is the correct order to do things in?

1. Cut pieces

2. Bevel Edges

3. Sand Edges & back side of leather

4. Neatsfoot Oil to soften leather

5. Gum Tragacanth to slick edges & back side of leather

6. Groover & Stitching Spacer (dampen leather for this)

7. Dye leather

8. Apply finishing coat

9. Sew leather pieces together

Would you change this order at all? If so, what would you do differently?

Depends on what you are making. For me, wallets, holsters, cases all differ in the order depending on the end-product and/or the effect you are trying to achieve. many times, it's cut, dye, glue, sand edges, groove, stitch, edge, burnish apply finish. on some products, there are some parts that will need the edges finished before assembly because there will be no access to those edges. You will have to plan the process before starting. Just think it out, draw it out on cardboard as a mock-up before using good leather. I have had many an "oh sh*t" moment in the middle of a project. Then you have to step back a try to think of how you can (1) salvage the piece if possible, and/or (2) not make the mistake again on a similar piece. Good luck. Just dive in! I have destroyed many cereal boxes and poster boards doing mock-ups to make sure my process was going to work.

Personally I would dye before applying the Neatsfoot oil. Dyes often stiffen leather and the oiling helps return natural oils to the leather. Also, if you are tooling or carving, I would do that between steps one and two.

I'm wondering the same thing. But, I'd think it would depend more so on the project.

I tend to watch others making wallets and such on YouTube to get a general idea.

Also, I've learned from other crafts such as woodworking that the right tools make a HUGE difference.