earlthegoat2

Which Needle For Belts?

I have looked at the Schmetz and Groz needle guides and think I like the diamond (DI) type point. I like the idea of the stitches being recessed as much as possible. I already cut a stitch groove but I also use a lot of horse hide. This would serve dual purpose as well for some items I make that are a full 3/4" thick. That is 5 layers of hard rolled horse butt. I can tell it taxes the CB4500 but there have been no issues so far with the triangular point needles I am using now. The DI point claims to be able to penetrate the thicker stacks easier.

Primarily it would be used for double thickness gun belts though. What are your suggestions and/or what do you all use?

I like a LL point - and usually use a 24 needle and 277 thread. Robert got me doing it that way, and I like it. I've tried variations, but usually end up with that.

I also prefer to use diamond or triangle point needles when sewing 3/4 inch or more. The stitches lay more on top and bottom on the edges than those sewn with S point needles. Thus, 5 to the inch looks like 5 on top and bottom, whereas with an S point it looks shorter due to the inline slice of the chisel point needle.

I keep diamond point in sizes 24 and 25 for my CB4500.

I also found that the diamond points are less likely to fray existing stitches than the S points, in very thick leather. I sewed a holster that was a solid 7/8 inch and could not do the job with an S point, which kept fraying the thread. The D point went forward and backward without a hitch.

In addition to the needle style, the inner presser foot design (with bottom ridge or without) also plays a role in how deep the thread is embedded in the leather. I did a short test video using a ridged presser foot a little while ago:

Uwe, I am not 100% sure what you mean. I am currently using the standard smooth inner presser foot that came with the machine. It is a Cowboy 4500. Are you saying a different foot can help to keep the finished stitches recessed?

Also I am currently using an S point, size 25 needle with 277 thread. Maybe I will try going down to a 24 size as well. I suppose that would not help with the stiches being more recessed but right now I think the holes look too big in my finished products.

Here are some pictures of the harness presser feet with the ridge at the bottom, just behind the needle hole. The ridge helps press the thread into the leather as it makes a stitch. The pictures show Adler 205 style presser feet. The same may be available for the 441 style machines, but I'm not sure.

post-56402-0-77565200-1445690990_thumb.jpost-56402-0-33443300-1445691000_thumb.j

Edited by Uwe

Very cool. Thank you all for the insights.