My dad is a piano technician; he tunes, rebuilds, buys, sells, etc. We're both big on cash, but sometimes cash isn't necessary. Bartering is fun and haggling too, for both parties... sometimes.

I know a saddle maker who barters, gives gifts and asks for favours with those he knows enough to trust. It may not be very professional, or business appropriate but I still like it.

At the hardware store where I work, one of these:

post-54274-0-95501600-1445734851_thumb.j

turned into one of these:

post-54274-0-18902900-1445734915_thumb.j

So, do you barter? What do you barter?

No. I find haggling to be an inordinate waste of time. Can't tell you how many times I've seen people soliciting "offers" for their stuff...and sent me insulting, low-ball offers for MY stuff...especially when I hadnt asked for any offers. I just don't have the time or patience for it I guess. But that's just me...

Bartering has its uses, and is always worth a bit of discussion.

The last 2 trades I made was a metal detecting holster for 7 lovely big trout from a fly fisher/detectorist I know, and a finds pouch for 2 delicious pheasants (had to pluck and clean them myself, though).

I like bartering, but not haggling so much. I see them as two different things completely. To me, bartering is a simple trade of this for that, where each person assigns a value to both items for themselves with no discussion on values, whereas, haggling is the discussion between buyer and seller to arrive at a value.

While I barter when I can, I seldom make an offer when an item is not priced. I think it’s up to the seller to decide what they have to have for the item. And when the seller answers what they want for it with “I don’t know, what’s it worth”, the dealing is usually over for me. I find it absurd to expect the buyer to furnish a free appraisal before purchasing. Tell me how much you want for it, and I’ll tell you if I want to buy it or not.

Which reminds me, what does the term “$100 OBO” (or best offer) mean? Does it mean that if two people want to buy it for $100, that the one that makes the highest offer above $100 gets it, or does it mean that when nobody wants to give $100 for it, they’ll take the highest offer below $100? I’ve always wondered about that....

CD in Oklahoma

<snip>

Which reminds me, what does the term “$100 OBO” (or best offer) mean? Does it mean that if two people want to buy it for $100, that the one that makes the highest offer above $100 gets it, or does it mean that when nobody wants to give $100 for it, they’ll take the highest offer below $100? I’ve always wondered about that....

CD in Oklahoma

If no one buys it at $100 the seller could sell it for less if someone wants to offer less. Its a bad way to price an item but it seems to be popular these days.

Just ask them how much they'll take for the oboe.

I've never traded unless it's family. I would trade/barter/haggle for something I'm interested in. Won't do it for just anything. Has to be something I'd use or be able to sell fairly easily.

as for what OBO means to me - if i'm selling it's the first person who comes up with what i expect to get out of an item. if i'm buying, what I would pay for it. Sometimes it works for me sometimes it doesn't. I don't try to low-ball people but some just take it like you are even if it's only a few bucks less than what they were asking in the first place.

Cash is king but I have done a fair share of barter and been happy. One friend had a 1911 I wanted and we agreed on a trade value in leather work. He came to me with holster needs for a variety of guns over the next 6 months .... I gave him his friend price and it was deducted from the agreed trade value. Now he was a friend which meant he paid the friend price but there was never any haggle. All along I got to own and enjoy that 1911 .. which I still own .. and I worked it off with holsters for his many other acquisitions. He thought he got a bargain and I got a new gun to play with. I had some tree service done for leather work as well with a person I met through craigslist and I thought it was a fair trade. I’m not into low ball but if its easy to come to a fair deal why not? Someone else’s services or goods have a monetary value and as long as everyone plays fairly I am a big proponent of trade.

Edited by Boriqua