flhx06

Applying Dye Vs. Soaking In Dye

I recently stained a belt with Fiebing pro oil dye and the method I used was taking a small disposable pan and pouring the dye into it to about 1/2" deep. I then soaked the belt in it in sections. It seemed to work well, I will inspect the dried product when I get home.

My question is if this is a common method or is there any danger to doing this? Can you over saturate the leather with dye this way? When done I just poured the leftover dye back into the bottle. Has anyone done this before? I am thinking of trying this on larger pieces.

Thanks!

Lots of folks dip dye. Personally, I don't soak, I dip it is and pull it out. On straps I use 1 hand to hold one end under and pull it through with the other in a smooth motion.

The only issue I can see by doing what you describe, is lighter colors might be uneven, or darker than you wanted.

I'm moving to dip-dying. With a dauber anything other than black ends up looking like woodgrain.

Thanks for the feedback.

Red Bear - Have you dip dyed and of the blues or reds? I recently just did a red project with a sponge and it has the wood grain effect also.

I often dip dye. Otherwise use a piece of sheep shearling, wipe fast and non-directionally. Only use a dauber if you want streaks and color inconsistency.