bushpilotmexico

Wyosheen Problems

I bought some Wyosheen from Sheridan Leather as I was told it is Sheridan's replacement for NeatLac as a leather finish.

When I tried it for the first time thankfully on a scrap piece of leather that I had edge coated (black) and burnished I notice the Wyosheen was lifting the black edge coat and staining my British Tan dye.

This doesn't happen with Super Sheen or Resolene or any other of the acrylics.

Has anyone had the same problem and any suggestions?

Thx

Wyosheen is a lacquer type product which contains chemicals that can dissolve some types of paints or edge coats. It might be better to put the edge coat on after rather than before the Wyosheen or it just may not be compatible with that.

I do not finish my edges until the very end. I have been using Wyosheen for years. I also use spirit & pro dyes, no water based dyes.

I do not finish my edges until the very end. I have been using Wyosheen for years. I also use spirit & pro dyes, no water based dyes.

That is probably the answer I've been looking for I have just been used to edge dying first then what ever dye I choose for the product and then applying the finish coat.

thx

As Mla pointed out, its probably the lacquer solvents causing you trouble. two things that may help

1. give the previous coats more time to dry and cure

2. spray thinner coats. Lacquer doesn't do well if its sprayed on heavier.

I just got some Wyosheen and its washing out a TON of my dye (it does it to both spirit based and water based). I tried applying both leather sheen spray and saddle-lac prior to the Wyosheen and it didn't prevent the problem (though the saddle-lac did help. I just don't like using it because it has too much gloss for the finished look that I like). I've bought Clear-Lac in the past and never had that problem. It's my understanding that Wyosheen and Clear Lac are the same product sold under a different name. If anyone has any idea what the problem is, please let me know. 

I've also noticed that on certain leathers, Clear-Lac/Wyosheen doesn't resist very well against Feibings antique paste. So far, I have yet to find an explains toon or anyone else having the same problem. I even upped it to 2 coats on those leathers and still had the same problem (though not quite as bad). I've tried every application method apart from spraying it on and I get the same result. I would just use RTC, but it seems to take 2 coats and then it gets way too shiny for my taste. 

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

I use Wyosheen and occasionally I have problems not getting a good resist layer.  I take a damp sponge and brush it across my project before applying antique.  If I get any discoloration from the water in the sponge then I know I've got gaps in my resist and it gets another coat of Wyosheen.  Also, when I apply it now I work in a circular motion and spend more time rubbing the Wyosheen in.  It seems to have helped me get better resistance because I'm putting it on a little thicker.  At least that is the magical technique I'm using now that seems to be working.

Bob

13 hours ago, Bob Blea said:

I use Wyosheen and occasionally I have problems not getting a good resist layer.  I take a damp sponge and brush it across my project before applying antique.  If I get any discoloration from the water in the sponge then I know I've got gaps in my resist and it gets another coat of Wyosheen.  Also, when I apply it now I work in a circular motion and spend more time rubbing the Wyosheen in.  It seems to have helped me get better resistance because I'm putting it on a little thicker.  At least that is the magical technique I'm using now that seems to be working.

Bob

Awesome! Thanks for the tip Bob! I'll definitely give that a try