jayc2640

Hello From Ohio

I'll be retiring next month, and thought that I needed to pick up a hobby, and leather working seemed ideal. I like the idea of making things, but most crafts don't have a practical use, and I'd feel like I was wasting my time just making something purely ornamental, but that's just me.

I've never done any leather work, so I bought the Tandy deluxe leathercraft set. Judging by what I've read here and elsewhere, it seems like a good kit to start with. I'm sure I'll be posting my share of questions, but right now I don't know enough to know what to ask.

This seems like a great site, and I'm looking forward to learning the hobby and sharing the trials an tribulations here!

John Coffey

Hi John.

I'm in the same boat as you, sadly I will not be retiring for a few years yet. I only took up leatherwork about 9 months ago, starting from scratch, I've bought some books, and plenty of tools, and also found just the best guy in the UK to give my new hobby a big kickstart, I was fortunate to spend two days with Nigel Armitage, who I am sure many on this forum will know and respect. So my advice to you is to find a local Leatherworker, pay him some cash, get some tuition, and your leather working skills will take a huge leap forward.

Happy stitching!

Andy

Hey, John, . . . you obviously went up on Morse Road, . . . maybe met Scott there, . . . I was in your shoes almost 20 years ago.

Been a customer there for a number of years, . . . taught holster making class there for a couple of years.

I'm 35 miles north of the store, . . . holler if I can be of help.

May God bless,

Dwight

Andy and Dwight,

Thank you so much for the kind words and for making me feel welcome. I appreciate the advice, and Dwight, I will be in touch when I get desperate!

Thanks guys!

Good to meet you

Hello John....congrats on making it to retirement. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome, Your kit is a good choice. It is how I got started years ago. It will give you a solid set of tools that you can add to as you need them.

Welcome to the best site on the planet !

Most of us are very willing to help, if you just ask !

Practice is the word most prescribed, but do it on scraps. Good Luck Wild Bill46