Boriqua

Fabric Liner In Wallet, How To Handle Edges?

I would like to do a fabric liner in the billfold compartment of a wallet I am constructing. Just to add a little interest. I could just dye it and leave the inside compartment rough leather but I want to try fabric. There is some neat stuff out there.So I could certainly glue the fabric to the rough side of the leather and trim to the leather but now how do I handle the edge. particularly the top edge. It wont really burnish because there is a layer of fabric. I could use edge paint but I must admit I HATE edge paint. I thought maybe I could end the fabric1/8 inch short of the top ... then I thought .... someone has done this!! :)

Let me go ask

Thanks for any advice!

Alex

Edited by Boriqua

IF your leather is thin enough, skive it and roll the edge over the fabric after yo glue the liner material.

Otherwise the fabric needs to have a rolled edge, just like leather. and sewn.

ferg

IF your leather is thin enough, skive it and roll the edge over the fabric after yo glue the liner material.

Otherwise the fabric needs to have a rolled edge, just like leather. and sewn.

ferg

Now that is a pretty sweet idea. I am pretty sure even if I used 4oz for the exterior I could leave it say 3/8 long at the top and skive that down to roll it over the top of the fabric and glue and sew. Hmmm ... I guess if I am going to glue in a fabric liner I could go even thinner on my exterior piece. 1mm ish on the leather glued fast to the fabric should make more than sturdy enough a wallet. Thank you so much! At least now I have some place to start.

Alex

Hi guys,

i have this same issue...i did a red bandanna backing on a small card wallet i did and i didnt like how the edge was finished.

Does anyone have a pictured example of a rolled edge?